2011 5.4 Repair time

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

Morning guys. 

I have a 2011 F-150 with 5.4 coming next week.  I listened to this a week or so ago.  It has the common tapping of a phaser and rattle at start up.  It has 150,000 miles on it. I reccomended they do chains, tensionera, guides, phasers, vct solenoids  the whole ball of wax and get all the updates parts in it. What kind of time are you guys charging for this job?  I did one like 5-6 years ago and dont remember how long it took to do.   Also if anybody has any advice of look for this or make sure you replace this while you are there I am open to it.   Thanks guys, love this forum it is a great resource.

What is the correct model year of the vehicle? If it has a 5.4L engine, it's either a 2009 or 2010 (unless we're talking about the 2004 to 2008 generation). If it is in fact a 2011 model year, it won't have a 5.4L in it.

It has been a while, but I remember book time on these being just a hair over 10 hours? And I seem to remember charging out about 8 hours to do the works. When they were all over the place that was more than enough time to get the job done and still have some good gain time.

On a vehicle that is more than ten years old, and especially being an '07, I would be charging more than that. The '04 to '08 body styles are much more tighter to work with, especially the space needed to remove the passenger side valve cover. That A/C accumulator is going to be in your way. Speaking of 5.4L 3-valve engines, I've read of guys installing the cast style timing chain tensioners along with a Mellings higher than factory volume oil pump assembly as an upgrade to permanently combat the phaser clack issues that have plagued these engines for years. Of course, I've never personally done this upgrade myself, but just wondering if anyone else has had experience doing this and if the benefits are worth it?

• Like 1

When I had the shop and was forced into a quote like this, I added 10% of flat rate for every year the vehicle was old.  That means double the 11 hr book time.  If you think you're gonna fix a 10 year old truck in flat rate time, you're out of your mind.

• Like 2