2018 P0401

Rate this topic

I have a 2018 with about 20000 miles that sets a P0401. 

I did pinpoint tests W and AZ. When checking flow through the cooler, it passes. Test says the system is working properly. 

I've probably done at least 100 egr coolers for this code on previous years and the pinpoint test always worked in identifying a restricted egr cooler. 

This is the first 2018 model year truck I am doing with this code. They have a different egr cooler and bypass valve compared to previous years. 

Without disassembling anything, I can't identify whats causing the problem. 

Any ideas?

Personally, I find most air management pinpoint tests time consuming and frequently inconclusive. EGR coolers especially AND only twice have I gotten the appropriate code when running the KOER self test. I have gotten into the habit of performing the visual inspections of the intake and exhaust systems which includes removing the air filter element, looking at the MAF sensor and cleaning it as needed as well as popping off the MAF sensor to be sure it is not plugged then, with a P0401 I remove the small EGR pipe and inspect the EGR cooler core for plugging. It literally takes a minute to remove that pipe. If all looks good then I run the PPT's. Yeah, I see you wrote "Without disassembling anything" but sometimes that is the most direct and effective way. 

• 1 month later...