snap on scanner

Rate this topic

any comments good or bad about the new snap-on scanners,such as the solus?looking to purchase scanner capable up reading codes

pids,graphs,any info would be great thanx

I love Snap-On's hand tools and power tools, but I'm not much of a fan when it comes to their scan tools. The software is always a couple of years behind, the charge you out the A$$ for updates, and they are filled with glitches. Have you tried a Solus or any Snappy scanner on a 6.0? Be prepared for some major disappointment! I suggest going with OE scan tools, but if you're backed into a corner and need a "one size fits all" scan tool, AutoEnginuity is undoubtedly the best value on the market. It gives you close to OE level capabilities and bidirectional controls on everything except Ford CAN vehicles. For the record, FMC never released their bidirectional CAN code to ETI, so no aftermarket scan tool has ANY bidirectional in it besides KOEO and KOER. If you look at AE, don't get the $200 DIY version, get the pro version, which runs $700-1000 depending on how many lines you want enhanced coverage on.

Good Luck!

I would agree with Bruce. We use a MODIS scanner and its impressive but if you're used to an OE scanner you'll be disappointed. I personally haven't used the AutoEnginuity scanner but the OE capabilities they advertise are impressive. Most independent techs who use the AE swear by it. If you're just going to work on Powerstrokes a PDS will probably do you fine.

I'd agree with Bruce and Eric. We have a Modis that my boss thought would be the coolest thing because of the built-in troubleshooting. In actual use the tool seems to be mostly used as a scan tool and the features that make it cost so much aren't utilized.

It has been of limited value on the 6.0L and troublesome on CAN Dodges, which is mostly what we need it for. For older trucks we have OEM scan tools. The scanner module has been replaced twice; under warranty but still there is the down-time. I've yet to have Snap-On Tech Support return a call when they said they would. The last time we had a problem as my patience was wearing thin they promised to send a new module over-night on a Wednesday, I still didn't have it by end of day Monday. First thing Tue I called, got a voice mail and reported that they may want to track the package. Got the new module the next day and when I checked the tracking number it had not been sent out until the day I called to report it missing; poor support.

I won't say that it is a bad tool but for what it costs it has been a dissappointment.

It has been of limited value on the 6.0L and troublesome on CAN Dodges, which is mostly what we need it for.

I haven't seen any scanner that works well with Chrysler. Both our MODIS and Determinator lock up and lose communication. Even in tech school the Chrysler scanner is touch and go. IMHO its a problem with Chrysler's networks. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

We've also had repeated scanner module failures. One thing the Snap-On dealers like to tout is the built in lab scope. I've found it to be slow and cumbersome. I have a cheapy Sun LS200 I use instead. My dream scan tool is a Toughbook with AutoEnginuity and a PicoScope installed. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

In my perfect world the AE would be comprehensive enough, especially coupled with the Pico. The only thing lacking is my expert knowledge with a labscope, but hey I'm learning.

On another note Ford really pissed me off with my personal PDS. My VCM quit after about a month, I recieved a replacement in one day. But somehow with all that I lost about 90 days worth of licensing. Also, being an independent I don't need the latest update, but without the latest $300 update I can't even use my PDS. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boxing.gif Rant over.

Check this site out if you want to see some sharp guys with a lab scope. AutoNerdz

In my perfect world the AE would be comprehensive enough, especially coupled with the Pico.

My laptop has Vista and it appears that I need to backdate to XP for the AE and IDS (and maybe the Pico, too?). If only I didn't have a wife that is convinced that raising our own food is "saving us money" I wouldn't be so broke and could have most of the tools I want.

I haven't used the scope on the Modis, there is another 4 channel in the shop that is a more convenient size and was merely expensive rather than outrageous. I can see the advantage of a larger screen, though.

• 2 weeks later...

The Solus has limited Ford diesel capability. Just upgraded to the Solus Pro with the latest software last Monday but have yet to try it on a Ford diesel. We are going to buy an IDS before the end of the year and we have a Mastertech with OE software for GM, Toyota, Honda Lexus.