Pulley Shim

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

If it has a spacer some one has burned the bearings up in it before and replaced the "two" original ones with one bearing and a spacer. People do it all the time on Internationals. By the way, they end up right back where they started shortly after. In the bay.

This is a recollection question. Yesterday was Mr. Know-it-alls last day and I was waist deep in an EGR cooler in a school bus so I was not overseeing much else. He walks up to me and asked if I remembered the washer or shim or whatever. I vaguely recall some pulleys having a washer/spacer behind them, even the 6.0L's. The truck lost the pulley entirely while driving so whatever was there is now gone. The new pulley was rubbing the tensioner housing and did not line up with the tensioner pulley. He put something behind it to make it work and the truck rolled along. Now that I have time to think about this, how did the pulley get "lost" and was there damage to the bracket...

Think.....70+ mph on the highway...bearing fails do to contamination and melts....pulley comes right off the bearing that is still bolted to the bracket....driver scratches head....either keeps driving till they notice an overheat situation or pulls over about a half a mile later.....now where exactly did that pulley come off and how far did it sling into the grass? Plus they need to be towed in or perform a road side repair. I assume the pulley comes with the bearing. So why look for it.

The 444E is notorious for this.