tsb 07-26-02

Rate this topic

Brad Clayton

Quote:

TSB
07-26-2 6.4L - INTERMITTENT NO START / LACK OF POWER - DTC P0003 AND/OR BLOWN FUSE 74 - BUILT PRIOR - 8/20/2007

Publication Date: December 13, 2007

FORD: 2008 F-Super Duty

ISSUE:
Some 2008 F-Super Duty vehicles built prior to 8/20/2007 equipped with a 6.4L diesel engine may exhibit a lack of power or no start with possible DTC's P0003, P0004 and P0091 caused by circuit CBB12 at the high pressure pump gasket grounding to the high pressure pump body (may also result in fuse 74 being blown).

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Unplug connector C1926 near the high pressure fuel pump cover.
Check pin 4 green/white and pin 2 yellow wires for a short to ground.
If either one is shorted to ground, remove the high pressure fuel pump cover and replace the pump cover gasket/harness that contains the grounded wire ONLY. The high pressure fuel pump does not need to be removed and replaced. Refer to the Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 303-04C.
When removing the low pressure fuel lines and high pressure fuel tubes from the high pressure pump, use a back up wrench on the high pressure pump fittings to make certain that the fittings are not loose as the cap nuts and high pressure fuel tubes are removed (this may cause a fuel leak).
When installing the new high pressure pump cover gasket/harness, verify that the VCV wires are wrapped in either high temperature convolute or a mesh style abrasion wrap.
When making electrical connections to the high pressure fuel pump, pull the connectors to verify connectors are locked in place.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
8C3Z-9G805-A Kit-Cover Fuel Pump

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
072602A 2008 F-Super Duty 6.4L: Replace High Pressure Fuel Pump Cover Gasket, Includes Time To Remove And Install Cab, And Perform Diagnosis (Do Not Use With 6007B, 6007B47, 6007B50, 6007B5, 12650D) 8.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
9G805 X1

My concern is some techs have found the HPFP is damaged and the vehicle is a no start or fails soon after the wire repair. I just hate doing things twice when an "over repair" would be the better choice.

I DID ONE YESTERDAY. WELL GOTTA SAY THE 8.4 SUCKS.BUT NOT IMPOSSIBLE. JUST HAVE TO GET THE CAB OFF TIME AS LOW AS YOU CAN.HAD RED WIRE FOR VCV SHORTED.NEW GASKET HARNESS HAS INSULATION AROUND WIRES.

Quote:
My concern is some techs have found the HPFP is damaged and the vehicle is a no start or fails soon after the wire repair. I just hate doing things twice when an "over repair" would be the better choice.

AuthorTopic:6.4l code p0003 Print Topic
CHAD LAWSON
Ed Murdock Ford
Lavonia, GA
(706) 356-1933i have a 08 6.4l with a code p0003 (fuel volume
regulator control circuit low) and won't go over 1800rpm. has
anybody seen this.
October 19, 2007 2:17:05 PM
Charles DeGroot
Greiner Ford Lincoln Mercury
Casper, WY
(307) 266-1680Short to groud under fuel pump cover??
October 19, 2007 2:58:43 PM
ROBERT GAULT
Crossroads Ford, Inc.
Cary, NC
(919) 467-1881Charles is correct. We had one.
October 19, 2007 3:17:11 PM
jasen paulsen
Red Johnson Ford Inc
Hammon, OK
(580) 473-2241we had one too, do it with the cab on, not that bad
October 19, 2007 6:14:39 PM
Marc Vukicevich
Holman Ford-Mount Laurel
Mount Laurel, NJ
(856) 866-0111Be sure to also replace the High Pressure Pump as
hotline said shorted wire will damage the pump. We had 2 last week
with same concern. Much easier with cab off. Not too bad.
October 19, 2007 8:44:14 PM
Charles DeGroot
Greiner Ford Lincoln Mercury
Casper, WY
(307) 266-1680Both we had had to be cab off the turbo inlet pipe
fasteners really suck the big one assuming you can actually get them
loose without stripping or breaking them . Not to mention the
aftershock of exhaust leaks because it's virtually impossible to
follow the WSM procedure to torque the up piped EDOC and brackets in
any kind of sequence with the cab on.
October 20, 2007 10:22:58 AM
ROBERT GAULT
Crossroads Ford, Inc.
Cary, NC
(919) 467-1881All those fasteners and gaskets are a one time use.
They all have to be replaced whenever the exhaust is removed from
the back of the engine.
October 22, 2007 8:15:10 AM
TOM ROHR
Hill Ford Lincoln Mercury, Inc
Portage, WI
(608) 742-7141Pull the cab and put HP pump cover gasket and the HP
pump assembly . Otherwise like me youwill end up doing it twice .
October 22, 2007 9:52:28 AM
FRANK BARKER
Dale Jarrett Ford
Indian Trail, NC
(704) 283-8521yEP cHARLES HAS GOT THAT ONE,i'VE HAD SEVERAL
October 26, 2007 8:24:44 AM

See that part in there where Hotline KNOWS there's a good chance the pump is damaged when a short occours. Yet the TSB wants us to just replace the wiring first and reassemble the vehicle...That is because a pump costs more than 8 hours of our time, thus ford is more than willing to take that chance. I'm not so sure that I'm willing to take that chance though. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Ahhh, but Jeff, I have a bad taste in my mouth about HPFP advice. Earlier this year I had a truck that would lose power and surge wildly once warmed up. I had codes, performed the pinpoint tests and needed assistance with the tests because my PC stopped displaying the tests correctly. Long story short, The PCED instructed us to replace the PCM.

Well, the engineer (I do have a lot of respect for these guys in general) said "but that wont fix it, we have seen a bunch of these... replace the fuel pump."

New pump goes in, truck sits two weeks waiting for the new pump cover gasket to come off backorder, then hits the road. Comes back on a hook. Same concern. I run through the tests again and the PCED again instructs to replace the PCM. HotLine insists it a bad pump, "install another." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

A lot of discussion and debate takes place at my dealer and with our FSE who agreed that a new pump will not fix it. To "different" engineers call me from Ford saying it is worth a try and also agree to replace the PCM.

PCM fixed the truck. Here's the icing on the cake; We are a dealer that has to use RTDA (Real Time Diagnostic Assistance) for prior approval on modules and such... despite being told to go ahead by two engineers, an FSE and some other manager, we somehow forgot to call the PCM in. They would not pay the claim. Ford Motor Company should be ashamed. As far as I am concerned, the ENTIRE repair was their screw up. My point? Use your best judgement but cover your ass, dot your "I's" and cross your "T's."

Did I say long story short?