bio fuels

Rate this topic

... de-laminated fuel tanks leading to clogged fuel filters leading to low fuel pressure leading to damaged fuel injectors...

I do have a greater concern about the quality of the "lamination" in some tanks but that is for another topic.

Our local city fleet runs B100. They have lots of problems with with fuel system debris, to the point that they get their fuel filters changed at every oil change (5000km). Ironically, I have changed very few fuel injectors on them.

Ford says the max allowable Bio is 5% and any damage caused by using more is not covered by warranty.

I know that, and so do they... however, when your fleet purchases hundreds of vehicles at a time, several times a year, there are exceptions to the rule... trust me, if we ever hint at denying a claim for these guys we have Ford fleet breathing down our necks... It's a "political policy" for these guys to have a green fleet... just about everything is CNG, hybrid or bio-diesel powered... some of the older vehicles still run gasoline, but are being phased out.

But, like I said, they have almost no injector issues on 6.0s... they have more fuel related problems with their MB powered Sterlings than they do with the IH.

Speaking of which, our fleet rep. was mentioning to me the other day that they were going to get some hydrogen powered Econoline busses to use as a trial... has anybody heard of this, or is it just steam?

i heard that the 6.0's are having injector and fuel pump problems when running vege oil.. the 7.3 on the other hand stock injectors are working fine and they are using a block warmer because the i guess vege fuel has a hard time on cold starts,, and there adding a fuel filters also.. think its possible to run 50/50 in a 6.0??

"Speaking of which, our fleet rep. was mentioning to me the other day that they were going to get some hydrogen powered Econoline busses to use as a trial... has anybody heard of this, or is it just steam?"

Nope its for real. They have been playing with internal combustion Hyrdogen power for a while now. They have used them for like airport shuttles and such. You will have to let us know when or if it happens and what kind of technology they are using.

Let me ask this, how would we know what is being put into the fuel tank? Is B-5, B-20 or even B-100 noticeably different than straight diesel fuel?

The best test that I have ever found for checking for the presence of bio-diesel is to take a sample in glass bottle and stick it in the fridge for couple of hours. B-5 shouldn't be too cloudy, but as you go up in percentages, it will get cloudier. Maybe go get yourself some samples (I'd do it, but as of now, there is only one bio-diesel station in Toronto), and keep them on hand.

Funny we should be discussing this right now. I have a customer that's working on Capacity switcher's(yarddog) ISB HPCR he has been thru numerous injectors, he just brought in a fuel sample in a gallon jug. The fuel has a large block of ice at the bottom and the fuel looks like Elsie the cow just sprung a leak. It doesn't even look like diesel, more like gas but smells a little like 911.

Speaking of which, our fleet rep. was mentioning to me the other day that they were going to get some hydrogen powered Econoline busses to use as a trial... has anybody heard of this, or is it just steam?

I am not sure how many of those we built, I know we arent building anymore. I think some of them went to Canada as a test fleet for the government, some of them went to Florida, and a few stayed here in Dearborn. I went for a ride in one a while back, aside from the lack of power the fact that they are hydrogen is pretty transparent. Be careful though, I am pretty sure every one of them is fully monitored with a telematics system that is recording all the time and monitors everything. The info can be accessed by the H2 engineering staff anytime they want.

Onecompany thatis an exception to the rule is ComEd. They're entire fleet is Fords, ungodlyamount of superduty's and F650-F750's. They're running bio-diesel and we told them to stop using it because we get soo many repeat coking, turbos coked, injectors failing in winter when the fat thickens. We tried to make 3 of their trucks customer pay, they made one call to the fleet manager and walla, ford was paying for it. The rep kinda hinted at "dont make anything customer pay for this company" when he talked to the SM. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

Now I see ComEd has a fleet of 6.4's /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif

• 2 weeks later...

ok guys im actually gunna try putting vege oil in my truck.. i have a aux tank in the bed thats hooked up to an electronic valve. the test truck im using is an 05 f250 6.0. what do you think??? i get the additive in the mail today and i have the oil ready to filter.. im gunna try 5 gal. of diesel mixed with 5 gal. of vege..

k i did a small 2 gal mix last night and ran 5gal veggie and 5gal diesel.. seems to be running pretty good. the only thing im conserned about is the fuels a little thick... i did 5 gallons veggie, mixed with kerosene, reg. unleaded gas, diesel-kleen and dse additive.. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whew.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

k the only thing im getting worried about now is the fuel pump is a little louder.. and suggestions.. egt's are running cooler. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif