05-06 6.0 E-Series: No hot water control valve?

Rate this topic

Had a customer come in for some unrelated work and also asked that we install this new A/C heater control valve he found online. After consulting our parts guy, he shows no Ford part number or corresponding exploded parts diagram showing the E-Series ever got one from 2005-up. Is this correct?

What would be the downside to installing one? Is there a really good reason Ford went without it(better heater box design, etc.)? Is there a reason we couldn't install one(flow restrictions, etc.)?

Any and all wise counsel would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-Mike

Mike I don't have a definitive answer on whether it was deleted from the design but I do know that cutting off the coolant flow will help prevent heat migration in the heater box and improve air conditioning performance. I have only heard of customers complaining about the rear auxiliary A/C not being cold enough. I recall looking at one and decided that adding a control valve would help. Is this intended for front or rear air?

I just can't figure out why Ford would delete it. I mean it's a part that been in use for over 40 years. Even my '69 Mustang has one! It just seems odd that in today's day and age, there'd be any reason to delete it.

It's for a front air system. The way Ford has the rear evaporator simply tee'd off the main condensor lines and not in series, their rear A/C setup is inherently ineffecient. We've had a few vans that we've been adding a secondary condesor/dryer unit and hooking them all up in series. Seems to have done the trick.

Well, I think I'm going to install it anyway. The customer bought it and he wants it installed and he's going to pay for the install. That's good enough reason for me.

-Mike

I believe that Ford changed the design of the heater/ac box, and seperated the condensor from the evaporator with the mode motor actuated doors inside the box. You may want to check the 19E616 mode motor for problems.

I believe that Ford changed the design of the heater/ac box, and separated the condenser from the evaporator with the mode motor actuated doors inside the box.

I assume you meant "separated the heater core from the evaporator." If I am not mistaken, that heater box was redesigned because the blend door would bind and eventually cause it to split where the actuator motor inserts. I know we have all seen our share of those. Besides, the blend door separates the the two cores and allows you to adjust the temperature in both heat and A/C mode. You cant eliminate that capability. However, I can see placing the two further apart to reduce unwanted heat transfer.

No, I personally think the heat valve was eliminated to reduce production cost. If Ford made any change to offset this then good for them.

Can you smell the optimism? Or is it sarcasm... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Well, we ended up not installing it for a couple of reasons. One is that there is absolutely no room for it in there as in the open area where the heater core lines are, he's got A/C lines tapped into the factory condensor lines for a 110V rear A/C unit (a lot like ambulances would have), and the other is that after examining the setup of where the evaporator is versus where the heater core is, they're fairly well seperated, via the firewall. You can plainly see the heater core lines going through the firewall off to the right of the extension of the A/C box that passes through the firewall into the engine compartment.

Perhaps when they changed over to the 6.0 in the E-series they took the opportunity to redesign the A/C box and eliminate any need for that control valve. Oh well, either way, it wouldn't fit without running about an extra foot or so of heater hose right next to the alternator. Not fun.

-Mike

Quote:
Perhaps when they changed over to the 6.0 in the E-series they took the opportunity to redesign the A/C box and eliminate any need for that control valve. Oh well, either way, it wouldn't fit without running about an extra foot or so of heater hose right next to the alternator. Not fun.

Sounds to me like Ford had to figure out another way after installing the larger 6.0 in the E-series, and ending up with less room.