gelling of the 6.0

Rate this topic

question ...does any one have information on the

return rate of heated fuel to the tank to heat the tank to de gell the pickup or tank..

we are having a big problem with gelling of the tank in this area this year.

the heaters all appear to be working on the trucks that this happens to.

i was talking tthe heavy truck guys and they tell me the trucks thay work on exchange the fuel in the tank in so many minutes of idling ???

thanks for the info

This is what is great about these forums, you brought up something I never gave any thought to so I did a little reading and I ended up referring to the "Features Descriptions Unique Service Procedures and General Diagnostics" booklet... (a.k.a. the Six liter Bible) I keep them all in my bathroom for quality time reading. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Here's what I found:

There is no constant rate of fuel return to the tank because it is actually regulated in the HFCM by the Diesel Thermo Recirculation Module which is a component within the HFCM. And I quote...

Quote:
Fuel returning from the pressure regulator on the engine mounted fuel filter comes into the HFCM and a DTRM either allows the fuel to return to the tank or returns it to the unfiltered side of the fuel filter in the HFCM. The DTRM starts to open (recirculating fuel back into the pump) at 80 degrees F. (27 degrees C.) and is fully open at 50 degrees F. (10 Degrees C.).
I think the short reply is that during any temperature under 50 degrees F. all of the heated fuel returning from the engine is recirculated back to the engine and not returned to the tank at all.

As for the gelling, we have had this happening a lot in NJ too. My co workers and I recommend Stanadyne performance formula all weather fuel conditioner which works just dandy in our climate. In the real cold places, for the money, Stanadyne "Winter 1000" would probably be more effective because it is only a pour point reducer, not an additive package with a pour point reducer.

thanks for the info ...i have read the 6.0 liter bible and seen that info ...i would of thought that fuel would return to tank to keep it from gelling ....in all the trucks i have had gell upit has been in the tank....

in doing some research have found a lot of the places around here (central mass) meaning fuel stations are still running the summer blend fuel because they just dont have the turn over in fuel ...so i guess the thing to do is ask before filling your truck what blend they are using