Question about Flamethrower video clip

Rate this topic

Mekanik

I have a question about this video:

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif

Click Here

I heard at work that these guys are the reason there was a recall for the 6.4L regarding the re-gen. (I think its obvious that they are manipulating the truck to get the flamethrower effect) Putting a video of it out on the web made Ford have a recall to avoid any further trouble. I also heard that Ford found out who the dealer and the techs are and they got in big trouble.

Truth or just Ford Dealer urban legend?

Wow... we are getting into fact or fiction on this one now.... (This was the first "flame thrower" video I saw... the only one if I recall)... We can definitely hear the the engine is hurting....

My understanding was that this was not a staged event and it occurred at a dealership in a stet soemwhere arouind the Great Lakes (I recall Indianapolis but have no proof).

Now.... this video is out there for the world to see.... for the world to see that not one of these "technicians" is smart enough to reach in and turn off the key.

James around the time this video surfaced I got my hands in it from one of our fellow members. Believe it or not I don't remember who but we did try to find out where it originated. Long story short we failed and I guess they wanted to remain anonymous or try to but "Ford" does know where it came from but I have never heard anything more of it. Since the Internet is a great source of mis-information and a perfect vehicle for rumors to spread, I wrote an article on this and placed the video in it where you cab read my write-up and view the video.

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-07-01.php

I don't know how this never happened before production began with all of the testing that was done. I am sure that if Ford and International had caught it this never would have happened on a production vehicle. I do remember that the issue was addressed and swiftly corrected with the recall that Ford issued. The video is genuine as Jim stated and I have never heard anything about the guys who filmed it being reprimanded though I am very sure Ford was extremely interested in investigating it when they discovered it.

My understanding was that this was not a staged event and it occurred at a dealership in a stet soemwhere arouind the Great Lakes (I recall Indianapolis but have no proof).

Do you really think that Jim? I always thought that they were manipulating the injectors while the thing was in re-gen. I mean they got the truck outside and away from the building. I would hate to see my brand new $50,000 truck on Youtube with flames coming out the exautst and a bunch of techs just watching? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif

No no no no! You got it wrong!!!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hahaha.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/flamethrower.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/ford.gif

The only way I could see this happening is if the dpf was damaged so as to allow raw fuel or oil (turbo/engine failure) through and then initiate a regen. I am more likely to believe something was 'made' not right for the 'movies'. The dpf does not have any passages that go through, each cell is closed off at one end, it traps the soot, so how would it get by. Ford may have added a different strategy to prevent/stop a regen if temps shoot up faster than intended, Cat's system shuts off for any tiny little blip in any off the system, which I am sure Ford and others do. That recall may have been a public relations recall, ie a flash file that did not change anything but makes the public feel warm and fuzzy.