Another charge back

Rate this topic

fjubain

I replaced a ficm module per tsb 8-26-03 and was charged back today saying that i had not followed the tsb correctly.I had done everything correctly, my service manager could not understand what the waranty nazi was saying , so I personnaly spoke with him.He told me that I did not write down on the RO the original ficm calibration prior to performing a PMI on the old ficm.Every ficm must be reprogrammed before replacing just in case the DC to DC converter comes back alive????While speaking with this guy i notice he had no glue at all about the system, he his only looking for miss print or omitted step performed by us.This is getting worst and worst.I told him the vehicle is repaired, the customer knows that this module is covered by diesel powertrain waranty, who is going to pay for this now, he started to laugh.

I have a few thing to say about that tsb. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On step 3, it says to record the ficm calibration because its required in step 11. It does not say its required for the repair order.

On step 5, it says to disconnect the power feed to the passenger side battery. On a econoline, there is no passenger side battery, both batteries are frame mounted. Even if you access the frame mounted batteries, there is no separate power feed to the glow plugs. The econoline power feed is either at the junction terminal near the glow plug module or at the starter terminal (depending on the year)

On step 10 (a) (2), when checking power on pins 4,7,8,23,24,25, it does not tell you to ground pin 27 to turn the ficm relay on. If you don't ground pin 27, the relay will not turn on and there will be no power to those pins.

The ficm error state check does not list all the possibilities.

If you have ficm_lpwr of 11.5 volts and ficm_vpwr of under 45 volts, it does not lead you to anywhere.

We are fighting over the exact same thing on a few orders. The TSBs list 3 calibrations that have inductive heating, so I just tell them what they want to hear. I find most of them have the 3rd one on the list.

Are you guys finding the calibration number like the TSB says to? When I check it gives the calibration for all the modules except the PCM, TCM, and FICM. I used my PDS and IDS and niether one gives the current calibration.

we've had quite a few here that when you go to the screen to get the calibration number they want it shows no calibration number. for says impossible so we sent the printout showing it and they still denied the claims based off no calibrtion number given. so now if there is none gets #3 on the list