Getting screwed. Got stories?

Rate this topic

Clark

Anyone got any good stories about getting screwed by problems you didnt cause?

Me- A '99 466 came in with coolant in the oil. Dropped the pan, and found #5 liner leaking. Did a Works kit overhaul on it, and when it was apart, replaced 2 valves and a rocker arm due to damage, and found the #6 injector cup leaking, so I replaced those.

First, the overhaul was put behind schedule by about a week due to our shops inj. cup tap walking off, so the trucking company wasnt too happy begin with. Then after putting in a 13 hour day to get it going for them as soon as possible, the brake press. light comes on right as im parking it to go. Another tech took over because I had a different job to deal with, and traced the problem to the firewall connector right in front of the steering wheel. Replaced bad pins, and problem fixed. After ANOTHER thorough test drive We tell them its all good to go. Then, as they're picking it up, the engine light comes on. At this point they are all sorts of pissed, and leave the truck with us over the weekend. The aforementioned tech finds the MAP sensor failed, replaces it, and truck is good to go.

Truck left on Monday with no issues, and came back today on a tow truck. They complained of a crank/no start and coolant in the oil. Oil level good, coolant level good, no coolant in oil, and truck starts just fine. Posted Image Finally got it to not start and find no icp. Find the IPR connector is the cause, replace the connector and everything is good. Needless to say my service manager is pissed and giving me all sorts of hell about how bad I am on overhauls, when, I never even touched the IPR on the overhaul (didnt even unplug it), and Ive never had an overhaul problem otherwise.

Meanwhile we gave the trucking company a free rental, paid the tow bill, and in all reality, probably wont charge them a dime for fixing everything that was apparently MY FAULT!

So, anyone got stories?

[bad day venting mode - off]

Sometimes I think scenarios like this are like a Nascar race - cautions breed cautions!

Sometimes even when we dont go digging, the hole just seems to get bigger all on it's own.

Sometimes we unwittingly cause problems just by being in the engine compartment.

I have been there many a time and it just goes with the territory. I feel your frustration though. As for getting screwed NOTHING pisses me off more than having my service manager code out a warranty repair order. I respect the man immensely but he frequently always comes up short, especially those TSB's that pay straight time over what is coded. I blame this on Ford bitch slapping us around in an attempt to keep our numbers down.

I had a Mercury Villager that broke a head bolt and lodged in the cam and broke the timing belt. Some how I got talked into rebuilding the motor. Went completely thru the unit and she ran like a dream when it was finished. Released vehicle to customer. Next day it was in the parking lot on the hook with a no start. The screw had backed out of the distributor rotor and it would not turn. Easy enough fix but because I didn't "check" the screw for tighteness the whole jobs reliabiltiy came into question.

The vehicle didn't need a tune up and I never touched the inards of the dist. in the first place, but I sure was the bad guy that day.