6.0L TRICKS

Rate this topic

I've gotta few tricks I do on these to make life easier, some you may know already, like removing the air cleaner as an assy to service.

I pull the fan shroud as one piece by removing the radiator brackets and unclipping the battery positive cable from the radiator support and pulling up, this gives you enough room to pull the radiator forward and slide the shroud up and out in one piece.

When I have to do a ICP sensor on an early build after I have removed the heat shield on the rear of the HOP, I reinstall the large (13mm) bolt back into the head loosely and I slot the shield from the side. Then upon reassembly you can simply slide the shield under the loose bolt and after installing the other two bolts simply tighten the 13mm bolt.

We have our oil in bulk tanks so in the interest of saving time during an oil change I loosen the oil filter then drain the old oil and while the new oil is being pumped in I change the filter.

Thats it for now, oh by the way 3 spins for 35 bucks so far.

Good topic.

Doing head gaskets with the cab off?

• Unbolt the Y-Pipe from the heads and leave it connected to the turbo and the EGR cooler.
  • Remove The FICM harness and only disconnect any other wiring only as needed.
  • Disconnect the fuel lines at the filter assembly and remove the fuel line retention bolts at the left cylinder head and the intake manifold.
  • Remove all of the intake manifold bolts including the front EGR cooler bolts - you will need to do a couple with a wrench.
  • Suspend the intake from the wheel wells 1" above the heads using good bungee cords.

You will now have access to the top head bolts and have ample room to remove the heads. No time spent removing all the crap up on top of the engine!

• 2 years later...

Got a 6.0l running complete the other day. I didn't want to drape the chain over the engine components and damage something and I didn't want to take anything off of it to drop it in the chassis. Soooo... I needed a spreader bar, but I don't have one. Sooooo... I made good use of the 5.4L/4.6L engine lifting bracket (which works awesome for vans) and used it for a makeshift spreader bar. Posted Image

Posted Image