Conumdrum....

Rate this topic

Jim Warman

The other day, Dwayne called me over to the bay he was working in.... He had a dually truck (no idea of the size) with a code for EGT13 (caution - memory thing happening). The truck has a DPF delete pipe...

Now, what is remarkable is that this truck belongs to a large pipeline construction outfit. And this is where the mixed feelings start.

First... deleting or defeating an emissions control is a sign of poor corporate citizenship. Yes, DPFs are troublesome on the 6.4s... What makes you think they wont be troublesome on the 6.7s? This is the shape of things to come.. we deal with them and we should deal with them in a legal and acceptable manner (some silly notion about appearing professional and trustworthy).

Part of the conumdrum... a great part of this trucks life is spent as a piece of construction machinery.... i.e., it spends it's time driving up and down the pipeline right of way. Flip side of the coin it dries up and down the same roads that you and I do... I cannot speak for you... all of my vehicles (and all the vehicles I work on after hours, thank you) have the appropriate emissions controls hooked up and functioning for their effective model year.

So... now I feel the need to approach the corporate headquarters of this company and alert them to the situation. At the same time, the last thing I want is for my dealer to become collateral damage.. I don't care about me... I will survive... This same corporate headquarters may or may not be aware of the "irregularity"

What is a girl to do????

Staying quiet is not the right thing to do. Even if the truck spends much of it's time off road - it is a commercial vehicle and is run every day. I don't think it is right to remove emissions components for any vehicle - on or off road. The atmosphere doesn't care if the trucks is on the pipeline right of way or not...

But, being a tattletale is not right either.

If I were in your shoes, and if the vehicle has not been repaired yet, I would price the repair as customer pay to the appropriate personell - including the price of a new DPF. The mouth breather that would normally approve a repair for this company probably won't be authorized to approve such an amount of money and would send you up the food chain. You will then have to explain your case for customer pay to someone of intelligence, and the right person will be made aware of the situation.

And if the first person you talk to gives you blanket approval, then the truck leaves with it's emissions components intact.

But those are some pretty big if's.

Actually that is the perfect solution Greg! Incorporate the missing components into the diagnosis and the repair estimate. This would be totally legitimate, Jim would not be acting like a tattletale but as the competent and professional technician he is. Doing so will not only provide the catalyst for opening up the topic but the documentation of his diagnosis and the repair estimate ill become a record of the "emissions infraction."

Yes.. the simplest approach is going to be effective for this unit... but this is a large fleet and it would be interesting to see where the delete pipe came from... where and when it was installed... and how many other trucks in the fleet might be affected...

It makes my blood boil to think that I spend the time, effort and money to assure that my vehicles meet the emissions requirements and others flout the law of the land.

One of these days, I will be able to look at my grandchildren and say "I did everything I could..."

FWIW, I look after a whole herd of RB Dodges... I ain't no tree hugger... you can tell by the number of Holley carbs with double pumps and missing choke plates. But then these aren't daily drivers, either.