6.7 Air Filter

Rate this topic

• 2 weeks later...

If I were to make a projection it wouldn't really stop snow from getting into the intake, if driven in a hard blowing snowstorm the paper filter will still want to block up with snow. The small amount of heat from the engine compartment making it through the foam may help prevent snow blockage of the paper element from happening. The way it's setup I'd guess 95-99% of air enters through the grill and 1-5% of air enters through the foam. Maybe this minor bleeding of heat into the intake is to help prevent snow blockage of the filter.

If the truck were plowing or run into a huge snowbank and cork the front end (unlikely, but possible) it would give an alternate source for air to enter into from the engine compartment. It looks to me like the foam is there to slow down the warm air entry and force the engine to breathe cold air from the grill unless the grill entry is corked (from snow).

Yes, it looks like you could lose the foam altogether with little consequence besides breathing warm air from the engine compartment. I'd still like a short explanation from a factory engineer, FMC wouldn't put this thing there unless there's a good reason for it, and I'm not seeing the good reason right now.

Posted Image

• 5 months later...

I had a student tell me in class yesterday (in Michigan) that he has a couple of 6.7 plow trucks with DEF usage problems caused by air filters blocked with snow. When the filter restricts from water/snow/ice the truck drinks the DEF tank empty in no time. The drivers keep extra air filters in the cab and swaps one in to prevent this problem when plowing. I suggested he look at the foam side piece in the filter housing (near the fan) and check or remove it during this operation. Maybe we're finding why that foam piece is there.....

Posted Image