Toyota electronics not at fault.

Rate this topic

deezul

I'm not so sure I agree with that.....

Posted Image

And why?

I tend to agree that there was no electronic CAUSE. I blame the crashes on the absence of electronic FAILSAFES that could have prevented them. Using brake pedal and throttle position inputs calibration alone could have been used to return the engine to idle if both pedals are depressed at the same time for a given amount of time.

There's a guy I know well in Mass who some of you might know from IATN, his name is Rusty Savignac. I've done classes at his shop, seen him at countless conferences, been to dinner with him and his wife Midge, met him on vacations. He's president of his local automotive association (NESSARA). He's a straight shooter, a class act, not a bullshitter.

His shop is in a sleepy little town called Paxton, Mass, which is not much more than a bend in the road. His daughter works in an office down the street from his shop. A couple of years ago his daughter was looking out the window at work and noticed a guy having trouble with his Toyota pickup on the side of the road, she noticed the driver had gotten out of the vehicle in front of her place of work and was walking around the truck, inspecting it. Without much to see he got back into the truck and pulled away, she states, in way too much of a hurry, as if he was peeling the tires. A few hundred yards down the street Rusty was in the parking lot of his shop inspecting a customer's car when this Toyota truck came roaring past at WOT, failed to make the next curve and disintegrated into a tree killing the driver. Rusty and his daughter state this is way too weird of a coincidence- this guy knew "something" was up but continued on anyway, and perhaps this decision cost him his life.

I'm not sure what's wrong with these Toyotas but I think there's "something" to it, and more than floor mats getting caught in the gas pedal. I agree that a simple reflash should fix it by disabling the throttle when the brake is pressed, but what is the root problem?

Believe me, I'm watching this problem. I drive one of these heaps and have considerable interest in this........

Posted Image

As I see it, the government team was simply unable to verify the concern at this time. Granted they put a lot of time and money in to trying, but it's really no different from when we NPF something... It doesn't necessarily mean there is no problem, it just means we can't verify it right now. I think our transportation secretary should consider that before making such definitive statements.

As I see it, the government team was simply unable to verify the concern at this time. Granted they put a lot of time and money in to trying, but it's really no different from when we NPF something... It doesn't necessarily mean there is no problem, it just means we can't verify it right now. I think our transportation secretary should consider that before making such definitive statements.

Agreed!

If they reflash ( i know some are already like this) these vehicles

to kill the throttle while the brake is pressed some people will not be able to drive any more!!!!! These people will have to learn how to CORRECTLY operate a vehicle!!! all too often I see people driving with 2 feet.... brake light flickering while accelerating... If the brake lights go out at all!!!!

With electronics we do need some checks and balances... Just wait till we just tell the car where we want to go and it takes us there because it is "safer" or your 500hp car will not go 0 to 60 in 3.6 sec because it has been programed to do it in 11 sec because it is more "environmentally friendly"!!!! I can hear grampy Jim already!!! LOL

I know we need to respect our environment and electronics can save lives.... but when did we lose the title of driver to occupant??? it might not have happened just yet but it is coming!!!!! Cars already park them selfs!!!! People are becoming stupid with tec!!!!!!!! Next we will have a machine wipe our asses because we use too much TP!!!!!!!!

Rant rant... But it took NASA to look at a car and not be able to duplicate the concern.... Gives me a lot of confidence in the space program!!!!

Put that on ur next R.O.... Send it to NASA.... I cant duplicate the concern!!!!