Diesel fuel injected into the eyes

Rate this topic

jpete

I would like to share with you all an incident that happened to a shopowner/mechanic from our local area. They towed in a 6.0 in an F-series that would not crank. It was apparently hydrolocked from diesel fuel in the cylinders. He removed the easy valve cover and pulled out the injectors on that side. His helper was trying to crank the engine over but it was still locked. The mechanic got up on top of the engine to observe and had his helper try and crank the engine again. He was over top of the open injector bores when the engine suddenly cranked over. Diesel fuel in one of the cylinders came blasting out under extreme pressure hitting him in the face and eyes. He was not wearing safety glasses. The pressure ripped his skin around one eye and injected diesel fuel into the other eye and socket. Wills Eye Hospital in Phila had never seen trauma like this and at first did not under stand the forces at play that caused the injury. After himhawing around(2days) they finally figured out he had a large quantity of diesel fuel residing in the area around and behind the eye. They performed some kind surgery to try and remove the diesel fuel. He damn near died from blood poisoning. Needless to say he lost use of the eye and has a deficit in the other. His life will never be the same. Always wear your safety glasses.

Well, eye patches kinda look dorky too. Good advice--thanks. I'm going to share this story with my sudents at the ATC I teach night classes at and maybe it will motivate them to keep theirs on!

Yikes! Safety glasses aren't worn nearly enough. I see guys at work using their air hammers without glasses or the bench grinder without glasses. I don't wear mine all the time but I sure do put them on whenever using air tools and/or what not.