Leaving the business...

Rate this topic

GregH

... but not the trade.

I applied for and got a job teaching automotive service technology at a community college about 3 hours away. Well, the president of the college said he was going to recommend me for the position to the board - it's their call - but it is usually a rubber stamp thing.

This will be a big change for us. Spring semester 2012 I'll be living on campus in faculty housing, while my daughter finishes her school year at home. If everything is still a go next summer, my spouse will find a job down there near my college and we'll sell our house. We'd then rent until we found a place to buy down there.

Three hours closer to friends and family, I'll be on state health insurance and state retirement, ridiculous amounts of time off, and its not that much of a paycut... Starting salary is 20% less than my top year ever, and I've dropped 10% from there in these last few years.

A lot of pieces have to fall into place, though. I need to find cheap, nearby housing for just me during the week, my spouse has to handle everything here during the week. Then she needs to find a job down there in her field, and we need to sell our house. After that, we can breathe again - we'll rent while we recover from those expenses and take our time finding the right place to buy.

Wish us luck.

Thanks for the support, guys.

I got my shop foreman to write me a letter of reference, along with other references. At work, my shop foreman is the only one who knows about this. I trust him because we've talked for years about the need to develop an exit strategy for this line of work - there are no old technicians. Yesterday was my first day back after vacation, and after an hour he comes up to me and asks about how the decision went down. I didn't suppress my grin fast enough, and no other words needed voicing.

I did tell him the final decision is Dec. 13th. So he said he would put it out of his mind until then.

My manager is a hothead. I can't wait to tell him...

Anyway, Dec. 14th through Dec. 30th is a little over two weeks notice...

Oh, and this is not the first time I've applied for a teaching position. I've gone to two other community colleges and one high school vo-tech. They have all turned me down because of my record - even though it's been 16 years ago.

The director of this department at this community college is an ex-con...

• 1 month later...

Well, I've finished my first week of instruction.

It's not so much a sharp learning curve as it is an acute corner...

There is a lot of paperwork.

There is a lot of accountability.

There is no framework for what goes where when. I am not made aware of requirements until after they are overdue.

And these kids are morons.

But there is lots of room for improvement. Some of the kids show real potential. And some of them are enthusiastic about the program. Interesting that potential and enthusiasm are mutually exclusive...

My colleagues are very supportive. My department heads have said that their expectations for the first three years are the equivalent of babysitting. Seems this program has been a dumping ground for the students who couldn't do anything else.

All in all, I think this is the best move I've ever made.

Seems this program has been a dumping ground for the students who couldn't do anything else.

Kinda supports the long held thought that "mechanics" are the underlings of society and that it's a profession that requires little skill, aptitude or talent. Where have I heard this before? Posted Image