Fuel Issues, No start

Rate this topic

Hey guys, like usual need to pick your brains on a 6.4. I haven't worked on a lot of them, our dealer never sold many and many people around here are still recouping from the 6.0, so they are somewhat scarce.

Had a 2008 F550 w/150,000kms towed to me. Cranks, no go w/ P2291 present. Truck wouldn't build anymore than 400psi of rail pressure. Went through the PC/ED Hard/No start check sheet and found the HFCM could barely make 2 psi of pressure. Replaced HFCM and harness and re-tested. Still, 400psi of rail pressure. Pulled out the glow plugs and Cyl#1 was a gyser. Performed compression test on engine, all cylinders around 300psi, no debris in fuel system. Installed new injector, bled system and now it builds proper pressure buuuuuuuut, still no start. I have made sure to clear the adaptive tables and have re-scanned for codes. Checked for elevated oil levels, drained oil and checked for leaks with HFCM turned on. No codes present in system (p2291 gonzo). Hotline had me re-bleed the system but still, nothing... The customer is also self employed so he has the time to help me with his truck ("it will start, it's just air in the system, let's keep trying to bleed it!") After about 2 hours of bleeding/cranking it did start, ran like a pile (after I shut it off, I'm back to square one) and I was able to perform a powerbalance, cylinder #7 and #4 were erratic with #4 being pretty much dead... No injector codes present. When bleeding the high side I do have bubbles periodically (I read a previous post where Aaron said that Hotline said that a "Champagne consistency was ok...") I'm not sure what I'm missing, if it was a dead injector or a couple of them, why can't I at least get it to run like a bag? If it was a leaking pump or a pump sucking air shouldn't I see drips out of the oil pan or elevated levels? Any help would be great, I'm probably missing something simple but I sure am scratching my head... thanks in advance guys, you're help is always greatly appreciated!!!

Will do, thanks! I also didn't think of monitoring the Fuel Pulsewidth when cranking, I'm at 4ms. Looks like I will redo the debris test using black catch caps and redo the mist test. I'll start with the debris test...

• 3 weeks later...