Def in the new 6.7

Rate this topic

Guys please be aware that it takes very little def to cause fuel injection failures.Look very closely when performing the diesel fuel contamination job aid.You may find but one or two specs of def crystal on components,but that will be enough.The job aid shows what I believe to be excessive amounts of def in fuel.Also I was informed that there are filters in the fuel return lines that can become clogged,usually leading to injection failure.

All I know is when I was having a conference call with the field engineer and the hotline guy,he mentioned the fact that the filters do exist in the return lines.The field rep was not aware of this and was not either.I do not know if it is in any service publication.The hotline said that injector failure would occur due to backpressure on the system.He did not elaborate on it,so i'm not sure why.

It just sounds odd. I also can't find any mention of filters or even screens in the return lines. Anything that could cause a restriction in a return line would be pointless... especially since the fuel return go straight back to the tank except for the thermo recirculation valve that returns the fuel before the primary filter inside of the DFCM.

Sounds like someone got their facts wrong. Then again, I wouldn't be overly surprised with Ford.

This is the first I 've heard of filters/screens in return lines but I can't say I 've ever had a reason to look into it. Give me the part numbers for the lines you are talking about and I will look them up. I looked at the drawings for lines connected to the fuel tank and there isnt any indication of anything other than open lines.