Back in the game

Rate this topic

GregH

I spent the last few months at my new career - teaching automotive technology to community college students. Well, the semester is over, and I decided to come back to the dealer for the summer.

It's been an interesting few months. I'm teaching in an economically poor area, and 80% of my students receive some sort of financial aid. This means the tools that students are "required" to purchase end up never bought, or almost worse, are cheap made in china crap that doesn't hold up through it's first job. Everytime I turn my back, someone else is trying to make off with shop tools or old batteries. Someone even stole $10 from my office!

But, it is a relief to be back at the dealer for the summer. Having to only worry about my two stalls takes a load off. Make a little extra money, get to cut up with the guys, get to work on diesels instead of outlaw crap built with junkyard parts...

Also, there is a feeling of detachment from any drama that goes on in the dealer. Not that I took part in the drama to start with.... But I'll only be here ten weeks and then go... Most of the drama becomes moot knowing I'm a short timer...

Anyway, I'll post more about my teaching experience later...

I feel your pain.I taught on the college level for 1 year.I had to give it up because I got tired of the political bs and the baby sitting responsibilities.Also,the pay was sub-par.It is a real challange to teach on any level.You really have to love the job to be successful!