subtly HILARIOUS

Rate this topic

Not sure about the Jeep, but if you do that with a Ford, you will see (assuming anyone ever looks at the cluster anyway) a message stating "Fob not detected - restart car within 15 seconds" - or very close to that.

Common sense isn't and many people chose today to prove it to me....

Every time they make something idiot proof, they make better idiots.

Seen that a few times at Subaru/Kia before making the switch to Ford. There were a couple instances in which Kia customers made it to the dealership for servicing on their Sorento only to be dead in the water. It was good for a chuckle.

The purpose of these things escapes me completely other than it is a demonstration of needless technology that delights the simple-minded and boosts the egos of the pompous. The "FOB" still requires a person to maintain possession of it so there is no convenience gained. The "FOB" does not require being attached to the vehicle in the manner a "KEY" does thereby allowing it to be removed from the proximity of the vehicle while still being operated whether by accident or lack of intelligence of the possessor... now that is convenient, isn't it? Lastly, the "FOB" adds no security advantage as fobs and keys alike contain encrypted codes for anti-theft purposes. Again, no advantage.

Perhaps, maybe, after the World Government has been established and everyone in the planet is injected wittheirer digital I.D. we can use those to start cars and access doors where permitted to.

Every time they make something idiot proof, they make better idiots.

I disagree. There is a better idiot already inside each and every one of us trying to get out. Technology like this makes that possible.

• 2 months later...

"Plaintiff’s wife then did proceed to wage attacks on Plaintiff’s mental capacity and did materially question the status of both his manhood and their civil union..."

That article gave me a much needed laugh.

The purpose of these things escapes me completely

There are people that need these sorts of things - once they are shown the features that apply to them.

Back in the 80s, I met some boffin type that complained that his car needed to be boosted every time he started it. A very smart man, erudite in his field, it was beyond his reasoning that he could have his car "fixed".

Now, with extended oil changes (I can recall my Dads first "almost new" car - a 1959 Pontiac Purchased as a demo in 1960) operators are confusing the terms "low maintenance" and "no maintenance".

I can recall life without television yet my son cannot recall life without internet - what will my grandson not be able to recall life without?

My new cell phone is a marvel. Takes better pictures than all but one of my cameras. A couple of touches and I can ask it for directions home (and I do mean "ASK") or directions to a particular store in a strange place, where to buy cheap gasoline or where to find an ATM. Now if I could only figure out how to use it.

I've grown used to OTIS and now look like a fool whenever I start my own vehicles. I finally stopped manipulating the turn signal switch over and over and over.

Making life "easier" and "better" is the idea. When I was a kid, I saw the movie "Plan 9 From Outer Space". One of the special effects in the movie was a shower curtain. Then, stereo. Holee sheeit, batman!!!! Then quadrophonic wannabe surround sound and now 5.1 and even 7.1.... OK, now I'm going to watch a BluRay movie.....

We do technology - one of the reasons is because we CAN.

In the beginning, our ancestors followed their herd of goats. Today, we can find our goats without leaving the house.