What Went Wrong First?

Rate this topic

Hard to tell sometimes. I have a 2012 F550 in with a lack of power complaint which manifested itself into a cranks, starts and stalls condition. Long story short the aftertreatment filter is PLUGGED, tailpipe loaded with soot, the cold side CAC tube is broken off at the throttle body. Codes for DPF Pressure circuit, MAF and low boost and not much else.  It's got 11K and 900-ish hours In order to diagnose this one I had to repair it by installing a new filter assembly, DPF Press sensor, CAC, reflash and reset the DPF and SCR parameters. While I had the session  open I enabled the DPF Regeneration Request option in the IC for the guy. Long story short the truck runs perfectly and I cant find anything else wrong. So what happened? Too much idle time? Damaged DPF? Faulty DPF Pressure sensor? Cracked CAC tube? (Hot-Line believes the CAC can blow off when DPF restrictions get too high) Needless to say this customer needs  to be instructed on how NOT to operate his modern diesel truck and that the "Check Engine" light does not mean open the hood to make sure the engine is still there then just keep driving. Now I just need to locate the instructions for that manual regen...

I've had two trucks do the same thing. One had too many idle hours and the other one didn't. The one with too many hours I enabled the manual regen for the customer and haven't had any problems since. The other one is a friend of mine and he's a cattle rancher and he hauls cattle with it on the highway all the time so I don't know why his did it but he hasn't had any more problems since we replaced the exhaust system.

Quite a few faults on these will prevent regen but allow the truck to keep driving. It doesnt take very long to plug the dpf at all. I had one with an frp regulator concern that plugged the dpf within 200km of the initial fault and cel.

What kills me is that these knuckle heads just keep driving it until it stops. Truck ran well when I was done with it. Upsold some service work and MAY have gained a new customer - has 14 trucks. For this owner I enabled the manual regen request in the cluster.