RPM surge under a load

Rate this topic

I have a 2002 7.3 with 71,000 miles on it that randomly makes the truck jerk under accel usually above 50 mph. It feels worse while pulling a trailer. I made recordings of it and the rpm will first drop 170 and then jumps up 370 and the ICP voltage drops .5 volts and jumps up 1 volt. It does it very quickly and then comes back down to normal. I have to enlarge the recording to get a good look at it because it's so quick.

I repaced the ICP sensor, it still had the original style sensor, and he said it helped alot but it still does it. So next I replaced the ICP connector and it made no difference. I put in a test IPR with no help.

It sets codes P1211 and P1247-turbo boost low.

I don't know if it's a VREF problem, cam sensor, or high pressure oil system problem. Any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I checked the harness at the valve cover and everything looked good.

I decided to go after the low boost code and found the MAP sensor was 2 pounds lower than BARO so I put a new sensor in and it still read 2 pounds low. After testing the wiring I put in my spare PCM and the sensor started reading correctly and the surge was gone. I sent the PCM in to Reman Auto Electronics and they rebuilt it and it works great.

• Like 1