oil filter plastic melted

Rate this topic

Can someone tell me where I can find documentation on melted standpipes and filters causing engine damage.I need this info from a Ford publication.Thanks

I am thinking you need to find documentation for a customer as proof of or justification for a proper repair; long block. I am not aware of any such documentation but that does not mean it does not exist. My suggestion is to contact the Hot-Line with your diagnosis and findings and take their response as your documentation.

We have discussed this several times here and there are also pictures. Go to the search bar above and type in "standpipe" select forums and click search to fond the discussions. In essence, the standpipes melt at a temperature of around 350*F which generally means that no matter what the overheating was caused by, the engine was severely overheated and damaged by the heat. The melted standpipe plastic WILL find its way into all of the oil passages making cleaning and repairing nearly impossible in a shop.

If you do find documentation, please post it here but regardless, I suggest contacting the Hot-Line anyway.

Thanks for the reply, however I work for a fleet service company and no longer have the hotline. The truck belongs to the local utility company. I guess they do not trust my professional opinion and want to try and save the unit. The oil filter is an aftermarket filter,but it still has to get way hot to warp plastic so bad that it was a chore to remove it off the standpipe.

19420 2003-2007 MULTIPLE VEHICLES 6.0L - DAMAGED/MISSIN OIL FILTER STANDPIPE DUE TOOVERHEATING
SOME 2003-2007 6.0L ENGINE EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A CRANK NO-START AS ARESULT OF ENGINE OVERHEATING. BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY REPAIR EXAMINE THE OILFILTER STAND PIPE FOR SIGNS THAT IT IS DAMAGED OR MISSING. IF THE STAND PIPE ISDAMAGED/MISSING, PERFORM NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS TO ISOLATE THE CAUSEOF THE OVERHEAT. ONCE THE ROOT CAUSE OF THE OVERHEAT IS FOUND, PERFORM BASEENGINE DIAGNOSTICS TO ISOLATE IF ANY OTHER ENGINE DAMAGE HAS OCCURRED. THE OILFILTER STANDPIPE WILL BE DAMAGED WHEN TEMPERATURE'S EXCEED 350 DEGREESFAHRENHEIT. WITH THESE TEMPERATURES BASE ENGINE OR HIGH PRESSURE OIL SYSTEMDAMAGE CAN OCCUR.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09-OCTOBER-2006

• Like 1