06 f250 p0460

Rate this topic

RyanG

Stumped on an issue with tank sending unit. P0460 is the only code setting, run through the pinpoint

test with no issue found. Vehicle does have aftermarket tank system that gravity fills the main tank which

can cause this code to come on. Code will come back every time after self-test.

P0460 can set if the fuel level does not show any sufficient drop...  I can't remember the amount it has to drop, but it was a huge concern with short-term rentals; such as Home Depot trucks that would only go a few kilometers, and then get filled before being dropped off.  The PCM doesn't see the fuel level drop, and figures the sender isn't working...  I wonder if the extra tank is causing that to happen...

It does not have its own sending unit. When the fuel gauge gets low he hits the switch and fuel gravity flows to the main tank. I said

that might be the issue and of course he responds with its never done that before. I told him to run the fuel tanks down and come

back and I'll retest it then. Guy was from out of town and in a hurry so I don't know if truck will come back.

Well the guy let both tanks run down and check engine light went off. He filled the vehicle tank and took it home so I'd say the

extra tank system causing the concern.

Yeah I asked him if he did and he said no. When I talked to him again after the light went out, his story changed to "oh, I remember

I did fill it while driving". Typical.