Runs Rough During Regeneration Issue

Rate this topic

SSM 45270 - 2015-2016 F-Super Duty Vehicles Equipped With 6.7L Diesel - Runs Rough During Exhaust Regeneration Process - Updated Calibration Due 1Q 2016

Some 2015-2016 F-Super Duty pickups equipped with 6.7L diesel engines may exhibit a runs rough condition during exhaust regeneration. This condition may occur when the vehicle is idled for prolonged periods of time or when frequently driven short distances that don’t allow the regeneration cycle to complete. A calibration to address this concern is expected to be available in late March 2016. Forcustomers that insist on a repair it is allowable to perform TSB 15-0124 until the calibration TSB becomes available. To avoid a repeat occurrence customers need to be reminded to follow the drive cycle recommendations in the “Customer Information Sheet” that is included with TSB 15-0124.

Given some of the heated discussions found on a few of the public forums I am surprised that we have not discussed this though it may not be all that common. I have attached both current TSBs to this post because we all know how they can disappear from the Ford database.

I have not had any customers complain about this. While there seems to be a calibration change coming, it seems to be related to the valves in the left cylinder head. As we know, the left bank injectors are used to fuel the aftertreatment system regeneration process. So does anyone know what the relationship is with respect to the valves? Reports are that replacing them only temporarily corrects the problem which underscores that a calibration adjustment might be the real fix. Has anyone encountered this and what information have you gotten from Ford and the Hot-Line?

tsb15-0106.pdf

tsb15-0124.pdf

I have no customers complaining of this yet but I haven't seen too many 15s in for service either. I read the public message boards too and the amount of posts is concerning but that is zero indication of how many trucks are actually having problems.  I suspect there may be guys posting under multiple user names to try and make it look like a bigger issue than it actually is. One of the wholesalers that buys used cars from us has a 2015 with about 15k miles on it, he took it back to the selling dealer and had exhaust valves put in the left head. It did resolve the concern for now. The only thing I can figure is the valves are sticking due to buildup or gumming. Perhaps the guides are too tight to handle the heat from regen.My own 15 has almost 7k miles on it now. I dropped the oil at 4k and put in 5w40 synthetic. No issues yet but I'm making sure I complete regens whenever possible and minimize idle time.

Honestly I wish these 6.7s would tell you when the regen is complete too.  I can tell by watching my instant mileage but that can be distracting.  Always takes around 20 miles to do a full one.

I have done a couple. It seems like a waste of time. The customers just could not be talked out of the repair and they didn't want to wait on the flash. Of course the trucks I have done ran like shit when the concern was happening. I have not spoke with any higher ups on what and why. It seems that those in the know have secrets they want to keep to themselves.

They were talking about this when I was at hotline last week, it is caused by carbon buildup on the valves. They say from not enough high load, high egt driving and not allowing regens to complete. (read as: these are not grocery getters)

Here is the problem I have with the whole issue. The two current TSB's seem co contradict each other: one says its "normal because of the way the truck is being operated" and will address the issue with a future calibration change and the other has us changing valves in the left cylinder head. Well which is it and is there a correlation? It would seem so but I also have a hard time believing that the valves only stick during regeneration. That defies logic. Mind you, I am one that is waiting an official explanation from Ford... if we ever get one.

Honestly I wish these 6.7s would tell you when the regen is complete too.  I can tell by watching my instant mileage but that can be distracting.  Always takes around 20 miles to do a full one.

I kinda have to agree with you at this point. I think the manufacturers wanted all of this to be as seamless and as little of a distraction and concern to the driver. I think they underestimated how concerned some of these knuckleheads get and the lengths they will go to pick it apart. Some of them actually agonize over this shit.