Injector Circuit Codes

Rate this topic

It seems like all of a sudden this year I am seeing a lot of injector circuit codes that I narrow down to the connections at the injectors under the valve covers. I noticed on two that the connector, while fully seated, did not seem locked in. I mean, I used the release tool with no effort or feel at all. I think one even came off by hand and just would not lock. In these instances I have been replacing the injector as well as the harness.Anyone else?  :shrug:

I did however have one injector that went "open" when it cot warmed up.

I see a lot of those harnesses crapped out especially when an injector has been disconnected at one time or another. The tool is a life saver however it can break the lock mechanism on the connector......the best way to disconnect is to use the tool in conjunction with a pick to push down on the lock in the center of the connector.

I have not seen any broken connector locks but I have seen poor terminal tension problems. I thought the newer UVCH that I have put on have the style of release that I just depress with my finger.

The way I test 6.4L injectors that I think failed electronically is by disconnecting  the  PCM connector. I put my DVOM between the two circuits on injector in question. I have found that with my DVOM on the ohms setting a good injector will pulse the meter between around .7 k and OL, almost like a heartbeat. Harness problem that I have seen I usually get a reading in the M ohms or OL. Injector problem have been under 500 ohms  with no pulse. After I remove the valve cover I recheck my readings @ the injector.

I tried to attach a video of me testing an injector but I think the format is wrong.

The way I test 6.4L injectors that I think failed electronically is by disconnecting  the  PCM connector. I put my DVOM between the two circuits on injector in question. I have found that with my DVOM on the ohms setting a good injector will pulse the meter between around .7 k and OL, almost like a heartbeat. Harness problem that I have seen I usually get a reading in the M ohms or OL. Injector problem have been under 500 ohms  with no pulse. After I remove the valve cover I recheck my readings @ the injector.

I am not sure what it is you are doing there but a good 6.4L injector will measure between 150 kOhm - 250 kOhm and I have never seen any pulsing with my meter. The only erratic readings I see are poor connections that vary during a wiggle test.

The way I test a 6.4 injector is: First, remove the valve cover. Second, grab a 48 oz ball peen hammer. Third, whack the everlovin' shit out of the top of the injector, if it breaks then it's bad, if it doesn't break then it's good to go. :D

I'm in a weird mood this A.M.

The way I test a 6.4 injector is: First, remove the valve cover. Second, grab a 48 oz ball peen hammer. Third, whack the everlovin' shit out of the top of the injector, if it breaks then it's bad, if it doesn't break then it's good to go. :D

I'm in a weird mood this A.M.

you must have learned this procedure at a GM dealer, tap testing PCMs in the 90s.

:-)

Joe