Mac Tool Box? Whats Your Tool Box?

Rate this topic

the_twig_187

still trying to sort out whats happening with the insurance in regards to my toolbox burning in the shop fire. naturally both snap-on and mac have come by to lend a hand. currently I have a snap-on classic 78 and want to upgrade the size for sure. Mac has offered a Macsimizer "MB1354" (which retails for $10,000) and with the help of Mac Tools corporate (15% off) and the franchisee playing with the numbers = $6,000 cash total (ie no financing and tax included) The box is massive, there are 3 other techs in the shop that have that exact same box and they love it. If you took all the drawers out (and moved that little wall 3/4 of the way across the box) my classic 78 snap-on box could fit inside this Mac box. It would result in tons of opertunity to grow. I would choose the black with green drawers for colour and would add the hutch possibly a little later on.

Does anyone have experance with Mac box's? The good, the bad?

What kind of toolbox do you have?

What kind of toolbox would you like to have?

20160325_000238000_iOS.jpg

MB1354.jpg

We've already been down this road, see here:

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/3946-who-makes-the-best-tool-box/?hl=krl1003&do=findComment&comment=37556

http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/topic/5928-hmmmmm-what-it-be/page-2?hl=krl1003&do=findComment&comment=58133

I have a SO KRL1003 pictured in the second thread, I bought it used 20-30 years ago and it's still in excellent condition. See the pics, if it was buffed and a few nicks touched up it would pass for a one year old box. If you look at used boxes look for rust in the lower area- if a shop scrubs the floor every night it (and the soap) wrecks a box.  We used oil dry and rarely washed our floors, they were always spotless. I can't remember what I paid for the box, maybe 40% of what it would have cost from a driver and it was maybe 2 years old when I bought it.  I bought the end cab last year for $600 off CL (it lists for $3000 right now), it was in perfect condition.  It was red so I shot it cranberry to match, I had the paint matched at a PPG body store.  Only a box junky would know it wasn't OEM. In that pic the paint was fresh on the end cab but the main box is very dusty.  The "hubcaps" have surface rust on them that would clean off.

Don't buy a new box, your best bang for the money is a used SO or Mac bought off Craigslist.  There's plenty of guys leaving our business or retiring and selling their boxes.  You can buy a used Snappy box that will outlive you for under half of the best deal you'll get on a tool truck.  Don't fall for the BS pitch the driver gives you, no matter what he says, he's still making thousands of dollars on a toolbox.

If you play your cards right you could get a check from the insurance co, buy a used box, paint your old one and sell it on CL. You could pocket a few grand doing this.

;)

I have had a mac tech series MB1080 for about 15 years. Love it. The chrome over plastic drawer handles delammed a while back, they sent me a whole new set of billet ones after 1 phone call. (we have no mac dealer here anymore). I have worked with guys that have had snap on classic series and a heritage series, and much prefer my mac to those. I have never actually seen a snap on masters or epic series, other than in the snap on truck.