2002 missfire

Rate this topic

I have a 2002 7.3 that is missfiring and will harly move with boiling black smoke. Has p1316 and p2117. As per pinpoint tested but found no valve cover or injector issue on bank one as it states it is related to cyl 1. The injector code was a hard code and 1316 was continues. Cleared codes and none come back.passes buzz test and passes. Ran contribution test and states number 4 cyl problem. I have little experience with 7.3. I am leaning towards the idm ,but wonder if it could have injector grounded. Thoughts?

Found power wire and number 4 wire chaffed and rubbing together in harness near valve cover gasket connector. Waiting approval for harness, injector wiring and number 4 injector.

• Like 1

ok. installed harness, which by the way I had to change two connectors on so they would fit, but now alternator light on even though it is charging 14.2v. Anyways, replaced the damaged harness and replaced number 4 injector because it failed contribution test. At first when I viewed data It would not show up any per del on any cyl period. Now I have showing 3,5 and 8 over 3 percent .Also the thing is boiling out fuel,but if I unplug bank 1 harness it stops and actually runs better on just one bank. I think I have heard of people replacing and injector only to find another one pops up bad. Also, now when I run the cyl contribution test, one time it will fail cyl 5 and the next time 3 and then maybe 8. I have ohmed out all the injectors and they ohm out ok. I suppose there is one or more injectors on bank one that is causing the horrific fuel smoke. Since I have no way to kill cylinders do I just recommend more injectors?

I think I will remove the valve cover and unplug individual injectors to see which one is overfueling. By the way passes buzz test. Still dont know why the alt light is on now. As I said it is charging fine. Unless I have the wrong harness. Double checked all my connections