Plastic Fuel Tanks

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Well it looks like Hell has has indeed frozen over. I walked out into our lot today to pull a 2017 F450 cab and chassis in to PDI and my jaw hit the pavement! Lookie - a plastic aft-axle fuel tank. Only about 10 years late...

IMG_4564.JPG

Keith, is that tank module plastic and held in with a steel retaining ring?

If it is, I see a big problem coming.  GM has been using that setup (a dished location and lock ring) for quite some time on their midship and aft-axle tanks.

We're now replacing both at a rather frequent pace.  If it's a plow or utility truck, it's about every 2-3 years with 5 years max on regular trucks.  A salt spreading truck, yearly, if not every 6 months.  The ring rots, as do the steel fingers on the tanks.

The rust swells up, breaks the plastic causing evap leaks on gas trucks and water intrusion on both.  GM uses steel topped modules on some aft axle tanks, they rust through and the springs push the entire module up and out the top of the tank.

Just completed a 2011 2500 GMC pickup midship tank, just about $1400 out the door.