Another screen shot...

Rate this topic

This is an 05 or 06ish F350 that will intermittently stall if the driver starts to pull away but then "bobbles" and lets up on the throttle... refires immediately and otherwise drives like a dream.

Posted Image

I just grabbed the defualt PIDs in datalogger not realizing that FUELPW wasn't one of them... I haven't had enough time to look at this real hard, but this is some of the stuff that is catching my eye early. FWIW, IIRC any PIDs not shown here didn't change through the event....

Needless to say, there are no codes.

Looks like it. Check for a wire chafe at the PCM branch where it runs over the front of the left rocker cover, also see if the harness is chafing on the intake bolt head near the MAT sensor.

Look closer, use a piece of paper if you need to draw a line on the graph anywhere. FICM_SYNC was lost at the end of the event. I am assuming Jim Left the playback bar in that position for a reason. ICP ls way too low for the IPR_DC, ICP_DES and RPM given. My bet is a (as Jim would say) a "pooched" ICP sensor or a leak in the ICP system could do this but if I look at the IPR, ICP and the RPM's only, I want to say the IPR is stuck. At least it's consistent with recordings I have made with a stuck IPR. In any event, the ICP never recovered despite the PCM reacting with an increase in mass fuel desired and raising the IPR.

What would be, how do the young'uns say it, "totally awesome".... or "rad".... or whatever...

Anyway, what would be great would be the ability to upload our entire recording and play it back (anyone ever use WDS in desktop mode? - still loaded on my PC at home)... that way, nothing would be lost to chance... A plus is that you can continue to re-arrange the PIDs and change some of the data display parameters.

I could have had my time set in a better spot.... At the time of the event, ICP bottomed out at .24volts... but once the engine stalled, ICP looks to "bump" a wee bit.

I mentioned pulse width because I think that it could have given us a little insight into how much oil was being "lost" to injector "on" time. Plus, we would be able to tell at which point the PCM decided that trying to do anything more just wasn't worth the effort.

I changed the FICM_SYNC to a graph (from it's usual "yes/no" box at the top) and placed it at the top simply to draw the eye to the time frame.

This is the first chance I've had to really stare at the data hard and, like Keith and Lew, I have a hunch on the IPR... but seeing that little whoopee in the ICP (after it bottoms out), I want to look closer (it's probably 'normal' but momma said "Forrest, ya allus gotta hedge yor bets").

Today was just one more 12 hour zoo in a chain of 12 hour zoo's so I'll try to go in early(er) tomorrow and change some of the display parameters to add some detail to what we are looking at. I haven't had the chance to install my FTP software on my "pet" IDS or my laptop so the earliest I can get it into my little corner of heaven will be lunch time MST.

I was hoping for a little more traffic on something like this.... 17 views and few responses.... Learning to use our toys well and learning how to read just what it is that they are trying so desperately to tell us will make us very valuable to someone, somewhere. Learning how to use our toys properly will earn us a living... a better living, than we would ordinarily have.... This is important stuff - knowing it will separate you from the rest of the pack.

Contrary to what it says above my avatar (which is a very good likeness, but I do have more hair than that), I ain't no freakin' genius.... I just take my chosen career seriously... seriously enough to make more money than most university graduates (this is not a boast.... if I can do it - anyone can).

Sorry for the lecture.... but look at it this way.... we have an identifiable concern - hard to reproduce, so far, yes... but you can get all the info you need with your VDR and one little stab of your customers thumb (our VDR is out on another "unfixable" crusade).

Speaking of VDRs, we are starting a waiting list of customers with "unfixables" lining up for us to send them on their way with our marvelous little black box. Interesting side note.... simply installing the device fixes more than half of these "mystery" concerns.

It's your future... you can change it.

Jim

While I basically agree with your "rants" about how it's up to us to be the "best we can be" finding a shop in the USA that will PAY you for that is just about impossible.

If "getting paid" requires 12 hr days then I'm not interested...50hrs a week is PLENTY, IMO.

Lew, the 12 hour days are pretty much by choice for me... My techs don't work anywhere near that many hours... rarely 50 in a week even.

I have two diesel Master techs and both of them will earn 6 digits this year... We don't sell flushes and we refuse to rape our customers.... we do our damnedest to guarranty FIRTFT. These guys work what extra hours they want... usually only enough for them to book 100 hours in two weeks (100 hours is the break point for their $2/hr bonus). With a healthy mix of retail work, gain time is pretty good for these guys.

I clock between 100 and 120 hours in two weeks.... Just my OT "bill" is nearly $2000 a month. My duties include fixing the "stinkers" (actually one of the rewards of the position), "fixing" staff, expanding my product knowledge (making me more valuable), playing with our toys to learn all of their capabilities and passing the knowledge along...

After over 30 years, I had to move back to a dealer to find my dream job... But I didn't get here on my good looks, alone.. I did (and I still do) spend a lot of my own time expanding my product knowledge, honing my skills and perfecting my craft. It is exactly what I already had, that put me in this position to begin with.

There is no reason for any of us to "run with the pack"... we don't have to limit ourselves this way. We owe it to ourselves to be the best we possibly can at what delivers our daily bread...

And now that I've hi-jacked my own thread... give me a few minutes and we'll get that revised screen shot up.

Of course it wouldn't be right if we didn't forget something.... I missed on changing the range of ICP_DES....

Posted Image

Anyway, I've adjusted some of the displays ranges to improve the detail of the scan lines.

Had the truck in this afternoon and changed the IPR... now we wait....

I had the same exact thing happen on a F450. Ran air pressure test for 1 hour on truck and ended up being the shaft seal on the HP pump leaking. Truck ran and had performance. No obvious icp,ipr deviations. What made me look into HP leak was 1 single time after sitting 2 days truck had delayed start. Still wouldn't set a dtc. Customer complaint was exactly the same.

Anthony.... did I mention that you go a long way to making a guy feel confident with his choice????

Good catch on the pump shaft seal, though.... It's the tough ones that make a guy feel good...