Pulling A Cummins From A Dodge...

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Anyone here pull a 6.7L ISB from a late model Dodge Ram 5500? The WSM says to lift it then rotate the nose of the engine up and out. Like shoehorning the damn thing - are they kidding? I am seriously thinking that the rest of the cooling stack and grille needs to come out to pull this off. Uncharted territory for me.

Keith, Yes, Pull the front end apart. It's not really that much work. Makes the engine in/out WAY easier. I left the trans in the truck on the last one.

I'll assume you have the correct rear lifting bracket. FYI, Reman engine may NOT have a fuel pump drive gear installed. Front cover will be fully installed, no gear ?????

Also, There may be 1 threaded bushing in the block for the ECM mounting, I've never been able to remove them. I'll get you a Cummins # if needed.

Snap-on now has some Voss Fitting fuel line removal sets, Some of those are a PITA in chassis. The tools help.

• Like 1

Thanx for the input. I managed to get the engine removed yesterday using borrowed technique from our experience with Ford. If you follow the Chrysler WSM, they have you removing the EGR cooler, valve cover, three rocker arms, two injectors, head bolts and installing some lifting bracket... blah blah blah.  A lot of tedious work to pull an engine in my opinion and another example of "not thinking outside of the box." Especially for someone who has never done any of it on this model. So what did I do? A partial cab lift was an easy route to take. About 4" of blocks under the front mounts and there was enough room to pull the engine completely intact. Well, I took off the #6 injector line, and upper valve cover/crankcase filter, crankcase pressure sensor to prevent damaging them with my lifting chain. I prefer it that way so that I can really get a good look at what I am disassembling and eventually reassembling.

cummins-1.jpg

cummins-2.jpg

Nice engine crane!

Yeah that thing is sweet. IN general that hoist is a bit of a pain to move around the shop because of it;s size but it makes pulling heavy diesel engines pretty easy. The large wheels allow it to roll easily even over garbage or my in-ground lift floor covers/cracks. The hoist also folds for storage.