ssm45913 stall test for dtc po54f

Rate this topic

CUSTOMER COMPLAINT OF EXCESSIVE ENGINE NOISE AND FEEL VEHICLE SHAKE WHEN IDLING IN GEAR, VERIFIED CONCERN, HAD DTC PO54F-IDLE CONTROL SYSTEM-FUEL QUANTITY HIGHER THAN EXPECTED CONTINUOUS MEMORY, FOUND SSM 45913 ADDRESSES CONCERN AND HAS YOU PERFORM TORQUE CONVERTER STALL SPEED TEST PRIOR TO PERFORMING DIAGNOSIS FOR DTC. WHEN ATTEMPTING TO PERFORM STALL SPEED TEST I PUT TRANS IN GEAR HELD BRAKE AND ATTEMPT TO RAISE RPM TO 1600-1750 AND PCM WILL NOT ALLOW, RPM ONLY RAISES TO 630 RPM WITH APP WOT. SAME THING IN REVERSE, HAS ANY BODY COME ACROSS THIS, IS THERE SPECIAL WAY TO OVERIDE PCM FOR STALL SPEED TEST ON THIS VEHICLE? IT IS A 16 F-350 WITH A 6R140

I've never had to do it on a 6.7, but on other drive-by-wire vehicles you have to let them creep a bit to get them to stall speed.  It's not something I've done too many times though.  At least it's free to try!  :-)

Joe

Allison has a driving stall test where you go to WOT while driving:

1. Warm up trans to normal temp (160-200F sump)
2. In an isolated area, using shift pad, hold either 2nd or 3rd gear
3. Hold throttle 100%, go to max governed speed
4. Use service brakes to bring vehicle to a stop
5. Record RPM with scan tool
6. Results will indicate if torque converter is functioning properly

I don't know if this will help, but it's nice to know. :grin:

I'd also try using the IDS to ramp up RPM in gear, maybe that will work too.

Sounds like that converter has failed, did you follow this test.

Stall Speed Test

NOTICE: Carry out the Line Pressure Test prior to the Stall Speed Test. If line pressure is low, do not carry out the stall test or additional transmission damage will occur. Do not maintain Wide Open Throttle (WOT) in any gear range for more than 5 seconds.

NOTE: After testing each of the ranges, move the selector lever into the NEUTRAL position and run the engine at 1,000 rpm for about 15 seconds to allow the torque converter to cool off before continuing onto the next range.

NOTE: If the engine speed exceeds maximum specified rpm, release the accelerator pedal immediately.

NOTE: Only perform the stall speed test with the engine and transmission at normal operating temperatures.

The Stall Speed Test checks the operation of the following items:

• Torque converter reactor One-Way Clutch (OWC)
  • Forward clutch
  • Low OWC
  • Overdrive OWC
  • Engine driveability concerns
  1. Connect a scan tool.
  1. Press the accelerator pedal to WOT in each range. Record the rpm reached in each range. Stall speeds should be in the appropriate range.

Stall Speed

Engine Drive Reverse Diesel 1,600-1,750 rpm 1,800-2,000 rpm Gas 2,100-2,300 rpm 1,900-2,200 rpm

was attempting to follow those test steps steve, however when hold brake and app at wot would only raise rpm to around 630. was unaware of procedure bruce explained, and did not find it in workshop manual under stall speed test. thanks bruce