Maintenance and Emissions

Rate this topic

In comes a 2015 F450 mason dump owned buy the City of Orange here in NJ. Complaint: white smoke and regeneration message keeps coming up on the message center. No mention of the check engine light that was on. Typical. So I drive it, runs okay but after a few minutes I started seeing moderately heavy white smoke. Hook up IDS and pull P20EE (SCR NOX Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) ) and P04DB (Crankcase Ventilation System Disconnected ) from memory. Passes KOEO and KOER.

I began with the diagnostics for the DTC's After performing inspections of the turbo, disconnecting the downpipe and the DOC, removing NOx sensors and inspecting I found little to no evidence of oil as I was expecting. A LOT of carbon however. I noticed the tailpipe looked oily and had a lot of dirt stuck to it. I'm thinking turbo - right? Engine oil level 3 qts over fill, oil drain plug over tightened to the point I needed a ratchet to remove it all the way and the oil smelled funky. When I pulled off the crankcase vent and oil separator I discovered that oil sludge was blocking the oil drain and there was quite a bit of oil carry over in the CAC. 

I cleaned out the soft sludge, replaced the vent and performed an oil and filter change. Road tested and the smoke was instantly gone. I want to perform a couple of manual regens and see if the aftertreatment catalysts clean up and the numbers look right. This goes to show that sometimes it's not what you expect. Keep looking!

• 12,144 miles
  • 2295 engine hours (57,353 equivalent miles)
  • 1344 idle hours
  • Unknown number of oil changes - suspect 2

orange-1.jpg

orange-2.jpg

orange-3.jpg

Update on this truck is that I cleaned out the openings for the breather and installed a new one, changed oil and filter, cleaned out the CAC system and performed several manual regenerations. The smoke is gone however the P20EE is now pending again after a couple good road tests. I monitored the NOx sensors and there does not seem to be much NOx reduction going on. There is a notable drop when the DEF injector is active but it's not enough. Quoted a new catalyst assembly and sensors. Change you fucking oil!

Side note: cats are  backordered due to excessive demand. See you next month.