2005 F250 6.0 Repeat P0404-P1408

Rate this topic

Truck was brought in with customer thinking needed some injectors. CMDTC P0341-404-405-1335. Had a miss under load that cleared up when warm. #1 injector IS showing some stiction but I wanted to fix the EGR codes first. Oddly enough it would pass the EGR test with flying colors but fail KOER test. Finally pulled EGR and it was plugged solid with carbon. Spent couple hours scraping and vacuuming carbon out. Forgot about just starting it up and blowing the shit out. DOH! Some of it was black/hard--some soft, but all black. Just found out this afternoon he's been adding a gallon of coolant about every 3 months. New radiator and coolant bottle/cap. I replaced EGR with AM and it failed EGR test! Got a Ford part. Passes EGR test but still kicks P0404/P1408 in KOER. also ran BG EGR & intake cleaner process. Really didn't seem to do much IMO. So? Noticed when changing EGR's the lower part of intake is wet. Now I'm thinking EGR cooler is leaking. Going to pull EGR, jack rear end up, pressure test cooling system. I've been out of the PS business for about 10 years so waaaaaaaaaaaay behind. But DO have IDS and access to Ford site. 

So. Why does it keep kicking the P0404/P1408? Turbo vanes carboned up? We will do the injector/injectors but would like to FIX the truck. Our shop will "fix" the truck (EGR) if you know what i mean...

Got it. Had to resize. Bowl pic is after i had been cleaned EGR for a few minutes. I'll get a picture in the monrning showing how wet it is in bottom. But how does this valve pass EGR test?

Plugged 6.0 EGR r.jpg

EGR bowl r.jpg

Jeez that one is really coked up.  That's a canidate for a total intake removal and cleaning plus addressing the EGR cooler while you're in there.  Don't forget the oil cooler and cleaning the turbo too.  I have seen many EGR cooler failures accompanied with a badly rusted up turbo

Looks like that EGR cooler has been leaking for a while. The hard crust is the evidence of coolant build up. If clogged, cleaning that port in the intake will prove difficult and time consuming. I either use a local radiator shop that will hot tank them or I replaces them.

So far I now have six people saying cooler leaking. Now to convince boss and customer. Thanks guys.

What you need to understand is that when EGR coolers fail in a big way it is common for the EGT valve to get a steam cleaning and will usually look almost brand new if subjected to that condition long enough.  In this case you need to remove a chunk of that carbon and break it up - looking for light streaks of gray or noticeably lighter colored carbon that is typically quite hard and crumbly.  You will find that when an EGR cooler develops a very minor leak and passes the coolant in small amounts. Look for the DTS article on "EGR Marbles" for a complete write up and pictures on this.

Other tech has it apart. Cooler was seeping at up-pipe end. About 1/3 plugged with carbon too. They will have cooler welded shut. Deletes are done around here all the time.