p0087 2010 f350

Rate this topic

first thanks for the add been working for ford for a while. this is my first post on this site. taking over diesel repair. I have a truck that is setting p0087 only on the hwy and with trailer hook up. drove truck with out trailer and it will not set fault code. this truck had fuel filters and fuel conditioning module replace before coming to me. I put a hpfp on the truck. on the hwy with the trailer hooked up low side fuel pressure never drops below 4 psi. I brought the truck back in and checked for arreation in high side, it had air for a couple of minutes before clearing out. ran hpfp test with ids and test passed. I have one injector sft at 10 and one at -5. all the others at 0 or -1. I am suspecting from what I have read that I may be looking at an injector issue. I have not run and intrusive test yet. does anyone have any suggestions.

With  +10 I would be running a relative compression test. Did you reset the injector trims after the HPFP?...and any other adaptations or reflash/updates? I don't remember what they are off the top of my head....I am hoping I washed my hands of the 6.4L :cover:

I did reset the adapt after replacing the pump. I did run relative compression #8 was down 2% but is #2 that the fuel trim is at 10.

From what you said, It seems to be a load based issue.

Is this thing stock?

Have you verified FRP sensor KOEO?

What were the VCV, PCV readings during the high pressure test? They may be maxed out to try and maintain the power level.

Did you replace the HPFP for this issue or something else?

I would also want to pull a fuel sample and do a suction/supply test.

Any injector over 10 gets replaced. On this, I'd probably do the 5 also.

What's the aftertreatment history? Frequent regens?

I would be doing a manual compression test before anything else. If that checks out ok, like KDS said, check for metal in the fuel injector supply tubes before replacing any fuel system component. 

I did replace the pimp for this issue, the truck was also stalling before which is not doing now. Just setting fault code poo87. Looked at fuel inside of filter housing and sample out of high side did not see any metal but I did not use a dark colored cap. Frp voltage koeo is at .50 f pcv 27% and f vcv at 25% at 24650 at 1500 rpm during hpfp test. I did recheck for air in high side and got some first 2 minutes of running retest drove truck and it did not reset fault code.

Does it store any ff data when it sets the code? If you are getting air I would start on the suction side of the lp pump. I have seen a few sending units with a hairline crack in the fuel line nipple.