6.7L PSD Water Pump in a F750

Rate this topic

I have what is likely going to be a leaking primary water pump in a 2017 F750. There is a coolant bottle on the front seat and a little coolant on the front of the engine and the primary pump but the system was full when I pulled it in, at operating temp and holding pressure. I cleaned it off and ran it in the air and it was not leaking so I shut it down and left for the weekend. Maybe this thing is leaking when cold. We will see  Monday morning.

While access from underneath is better than a pick up application the access from the top is abominable. I read through the WSM and in order to remove the upper and lower shrouds and stater it instructs you to remove the hood which is something we were thinking needed to happen as we crawled around the truck planning the repair. Even so, its a fair climb up to the top of the cooling stack. I am 5'10" with boots on and it looks like I an still going to have to fold my body over the cooling stack and work upside down. Oh that is fucking elegant. Hopefully with the shrouds and stater out of the way I can R&R the pump standing up underneath the truck. Yes, I have a lift that I can put medium truck on.

I was wondering if any of you have done this repair or similar engine work and have any advice. Locking my tool box and going home is not an option. ;) Maybe it won't be so bad once I get into it but man, I never thought I would say this but I wish this was a Cummins or a CAT engine.

The pump itself is actually easier because the access from below is much better compared to a pick up. Read the WSM. It starts with removing the hood then the upper and lower support struts. If yours has an air compressor it tells you to drain the secondary system and disconnect the hoses. Don't. All you need to do is pull the hoses back toward the cowl with a bungee cord. I am not certain the A'c needed to be evacuated and the liquid line disconnected but I did. By the way, there are no labor ops for the diesel water pump in the F650/750. We also discovered that the parts listing has the primary and secondary pump numbers crossed. Compare the number you order with the puck up application.

Thanks for the info.  Thankfully, we're equipped to lift 56K, so the poor bastard who's going to do it will at least be able to do it from below.  I'll pass on the message about the pump not being listed correctly.

I also realize now that for many repairs removing the hood is going to be necessary or preferred to access things up top. I just cant get at much from the sides without climbing around and kneeling or laying on stiff tha boud break and does not feel pleasant doing so.

How much a pain is it to get the hood off?

Not a pain at all other than you have to put it somehwere which could be a problem if your shop has limited space. 

One electrical connector, two hood props pop off, one safety cable and then the four hinge bolts at the bumper. Two people or three can safely move it off the truck and set it down. If you work on a lot of these I can see this becoming a common occurrence. And it is the first step in the WSM as I mentioned.

IMG_5406.JPG

Look familiar?

IMG_5409.JPG

How much a pain is it to get the hood off?

Not a pain at all other than you have to put it somehwere which could be a problem if your shop has limited space. 

One electrical connector, two hood props pop off, one safety cable and then the four hinge bolts at the bumper. Two people or three can safely move it off the truck and set it down. If you work on a lot of these I can see this becoming a common occurrence. And it is the first step in the WSM as I mentioned.

attachicon.gifIMG_5406.JPG

Look familiar?

attachicon.gifIMG_5409.JPG

That sure makes it look easier to work on. Currently we only have two of these and both are located out of state. However we will see more in the fleet sooner then later

Easier yes but for me still not easy overall. It's high and you have to bend over and down. Accessibility from the sides is impossible without removing stuff. Fortunately most things we need to mess with on these engines is up top. Hopefully we are past all of the growing pains.