2017 Medium Duty Manual Problems

Rate this topic

So the 2017 medium duty trucks were touted as being "all Ford" which I applauded because medium and heavy duty trucks are traditionally built from parts and systems from many different manufacturers making diagnosing difficult at times. I thought 2017 was the end of that nightmare for the Ford F-650/750 but today I earned the hard way that these trucks are still partially, bastards.

Had a 2017 F750 in with the ABS and Traction control lights on continuously. Try performing the air brake self test - "blink Code" procedure does not work... try finding the ABS module. It's a Bendix air brake ABS system... you know, the one that used to be mounted to a frame cross member under the rear of the cab. The EVTM shows it mounted to the left hand frame rail somewhere behind the left front wheel area. Yeeeeeahhh. After 1.5 hours I found it buried in the DASH on the right side behind the cover where a passenger airbag would be on a light duty truck. Ironically, this is where the GFM (Generic Function Module) is located which is identified as a "lighting control module" in the parts lising by the part number. By the way, the BLINK CODE SWITCH apparently does not exist.

WHAT THE FUCK!!! :haha2:

I really am not laughing because this bullshit wasted a big part of my morning. See for yourself. ABS Module (air brakes) on the left and the GFM is on the right.

IMG_5461.JPG

I've never seen one there, that's for sure!  Under the truck, behind the seat, but never buried like that.  Unfortunately there's no standardization when it comes to hanging modules in the Erector Set Trucks.

Joe

What a pain...Looks like the WSM has to correct location. In the component location charts section it list's 3 ABS module options. 1 option is for the dash & 2 are for the frame.
The location link for the module in the wiring diagram is wrong as you know but it looks like the connector link location is correct.

Just think you could be working on a Cargo :banghead: