Hot-Line & Metal In Fuel System

Rate this topic

I am not totally sure how I feel about these statements from the Hot-Line. I am chasing a P0087 set at high load acceleration. The HPFP cant meet the requested fuel rail pressure under those conditions. In my testing I took a fuel sample from the left fuel rail when inspecting the PCV. I don't have a problem with identifying if the HPFP is the source. The problem I have is with the statements that metal in the fuel rail is normal and not detrimental to operation AND the suggestion that the metal is from the manufacturing process of the fuel rail.

While it is seen that metal debris found at the PCV valve fuel sample was mentioned to have metal debris contamination, it is recommended to verify that metal debris is present from the High Pressure Fuel Pump. If metal debris is found on the VCV Valve screen or in the VCV port of the high pressure pump, the entire high pressure fuel system should be replaced at tis time to address this condition. The Diesel Fuel System Contamination repair Flushing Procedure found listed in WSM section 310-00 > General Procedures should be performed to thoroughly flush any contaminants from the fuel system before installing new components and potentially re-contaminating the fuel system.

If there is no visible metal debris on the VCV screen or in the VCV port of the high pressure pump, the high pressure fuel pump should not be replaced at this time. Through returned component assessment, engineering has determined that small metal particles in the fuel rail are considered normal. The small metal particles are a result of the manufacturing process and are not detrimental to high pressure fuel system operation. If small metal particles are identified in the fuel rail and there are no visible metal debris on the VCV or in the valves port as discussed, high pressure fuel system replacement is not required at this time.

I had one a couple of years back for the same code. Hot line said the exact same thing with the fuel rail bullshit. I put a high pressure fuel system in and it took care of the problem. I posted it, It was titled longer than usual crank time.

• Like 1

The only thing I agree with is verifying where the metal came from if possible. I looked at the original VCV closely and there is likely some fine metal on it but nothing built up or extreme. I ordered a fuel system kit.

Normal metal debris from the manufacturing process. WTF.  :rolleyes:

They need to improve the manufacturing process if that's the case.... Complete bull.

These common rail systems are just far too sensitive to contamination. Really kills the idea of a diesel being "robust"

• Like 1