V-10 Propane

Rate this topic

JoeR

I've been coming across Ford V-10 Propane engines in school busses.  When I scan them with a Pro Link or Snap-on scanner, they display data exactly like a gas engine would.  It looks like they have all been Roush conversions to me.  With that being the case, I can't imagine there would be any scanner data or tests related specifically to the Propane System, but a Tech at one shop told me the IDS would display data and tests that are unique to these systems, although he couldn't recall any details.  

Anyone gotten a chance to fool with these yet?  Is this guy correct about the IDS?

Joe

Is it Propane or CNG (compressed Natural Gas) ? Really does not matter, I am just curious and I am sure you know what you are talking about...

We did a test conversion on a F150 and the PCM calibration was a Ford deal which allowed for fuel from the CNG tank or the gas tank. There was not much in the way of added electronics as I recall other than a switching device, a second set of fuel injectors and a pressure sensor. The PCM data should be available on IDS regardless of whether it's a dual system or stand alone propane/CNG. If it's a Roush installation the calibration and some parts will indeed be Ford. So yes, there should be specific DTC's and PID's for this vehicle... don't know where to send you for support documentation but I imagine Roush would be able to help you there. Here is a link to the site. I looked through the service documents and they look really good and complete.

http://www.roushcleantech.com/

Thanks for the reply, Keith.  They are definitely propane.  The engine VIN is the same as a regular V-10, so the scanner auto IDs like it would on any other vehicle.  The trans is the same as it would be on a 550 as well.  I'll have to grab an IDS and see what it looks like.  If the engine VIN is the same as a regular V-10, I can't see the scanner loading any data or tests outside the standard info.  If I find anything interesting, I'll be sure to report back.

Joe

From what I have heard from other divisions about the roush v10 propane is that the ids does not auto read it, you need to put in a vehicle identifier other than f series etc. We have 3 but not in my local so no first hand info. The ids software is sold as an add on with our tender so it is going to give you more info-options for diag.

Go here for some more info:

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=40008&SearchTerms=IDS

• Like 1