Ford reman plasma welded bores

Rate this topic

exmod110

Was scrolling through the book of faces and came across a vid from "diesel doctor of TN" looking at a ford reman engine that had the bores plasma welded and machined back to spec. the material welded back into the bores was flaking and pealing off. Is this a thing now??

kinda looks like they machined the material thin enough to peal it out.

posted Feb 23 this year

I am a little confused by what I am seeing. So was this supposedly an engine that was running when this was discovered? It certainly does not look that way in my opinion because if there were pistons on those cylinders that layer would have been ripped apart and the cylinder walls would have been ripped apart. I might believe that this is an engine that had been through the process of spray welding (the actual process) and it failed for some reason... and scrapped or somehow mistakenly sold.  If this engine were just pulled from a truck and disassembled there would also be traces of oil, dirt on it and carbon in the cylinders. I see none of that so what is the story?

Here is the Ford video...

I don't know what is going on because we recently came across a similar issue. One of the other techs bought a 6.4 F550 flatbed for cheap due to low compression. We tear it apart to a bare block and found cylinder 2 piston melted. The plan was to rebuild so we sent the block out to our machine shop to see if its worth fixing. Next day guy tells us when the engine was reman( this is a Ford FQR that was put in by another local dealer) that half the cylinders were sleeved and one of the cylinders was not bored straight. All in all the block was fucked. So I'm confused as well because I was under the impression that all of the FQR's were spray welded and machined back to original bore spec. I really have no confidence in these remans. especially 6.4's. The last 3 or 4 I've done have all had major issues within 6 months. Only thing that's a bigger piece of shit than a 6.4 is a FQR 6.4.

• Like 1