P012f

Rate this topic

Looking for some insight before I look at this truck. The truck came in for this code and another tech put in an oil cooler but the code came right back. Eot is 224 and ect is 198. Ppt states to replace oil cooler but I do not believe it will fix the issue. I have not monitored enough temp pids to know what is normal. I think it could possibly be a cooling system issue. I have read about issues with cavitation and thermostats. Should I also check egr like on the 6.0. Egr cooler was not replaced and cooling system was not flushed. Any help would be appreciated. 

This is a 6.4L the devil engine. Cooling system problems have plagued this engine from day one. Obviously you should address any DTC related to cooling system problems, EOT and ECT sensors, fan clutch etc. before diagnosing DTC P012F.  Make sure that the coolant level is correct and that the system holds pressure within specification. Make sure that the coolant degas tee is installed or that the degas bottle has the single small degas hose connection depending on the model year. The degas tee was installed for a recall, I don't remember the number at the moment. 

Make sure that the PCM calibration is up to date as FSA 11B23 added several monitors including coolant thermostat and engine oil cooler monitors. The fact that you have this code should indicate the calibration in this truck has the updated calibration.

With that said you could still have a thermostat issue and not have any codes but not likely. They should have been replaced when the oil cooler was done in my opinion.

Then there is the repeat failure thing... if the cooling system was in really bad condition at the time of repair and the cooling system was not effectively flushed the cooler could have become restricted by the same contaminates the took out the original cooler. There are some people who subscribe to the theory that flushing the cooling system AFTER replacing coolers can cause them to clog. This sounds good in theory but I have always flushed cooling systems on 6.0L and 6.4L engines after replacing coolers and have never had an issue or repeat failure. For your convenience I am attaching the 6.4L Oil Cooler Service Tips job aid to this post.

I hope this helps

64L-Oil-Cooler-Service-Tips.pdf