Left Side Exhaust Manifold R&R Labour Times?

Rate this topic

Hi guys, I have been away from Ford for a couple years (working as maintenance Forman at independent construction company) and don't have access to Mitchel labor times.

I have a 2010 F-350 (6.4L) with a broken left rear exhaust manifold bolt that is now causing a loud whistle when applying the throttle. The boss wants it fixed and im trying to give him an accurate estimate of how much time this is going to take me to complete this job (R&R the left side manifold and drill out the broken bolt). I remember the last one I did at the dealer I swore to myself that I would never do a left side manifold on a 6.4 again with the cab on

so im wondering what would the potential labor times be for doing the job through the wheel well and then doing the job with cab off (I do have a host so doing the cab off would not be a problem)

thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

Chris

I would say minimum 12-15 and do it with the cab off. Being up north its safe to say there is a good amount of rust plus it gives you room to slide the turbo inlet pipe back off of the manifold flange. When it comes to getting the broken fastener out it doesn't make a difference in how big of a pain in the ass its going to be cab on or off. If its not broken off too deep in the head you might want to try tack welding the end of the bolt to build up enough metal to grab it with a turbo extractor socket instead of drilling. Good Luck.

I would agree that time is about right. Depending on your experience with the 6.4L be aware that problems on this engine tend to multiply when you get a good look at things and more so once you begin taking things apart. My personal approach to the exhaust on these engines is applying heat before loosening is helpful in avoiding breaking more... and sockets that are in perfect condition are almost a must, especially the 10mm stuff.

Thanks guys.

So I convinced the manager to let me do a cab off, it went very smooth thus far (took about 4 hrs to get the cab off / no broken bolts thus far and no spun cage nuts). They want me to do both manifolds while I have the cab off which I agree is probably the smart choice.

I was wondering if someone could do me a huge favor and screen shot the torque specs for the left and right manifolds and up pipes (I don't have access to inford or Mitchel anymore)

that would be extremely helpful. thanks again

Chris 

I was wondering if someone could do me a huge favor and screen shot the torque specs for the left and right manifolds and up pipes (I don't have access to inford or Mitchel anymore)

that would be extremely helpful. thanks again

Chris