Teaching Younger Peers

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Maybe it is the team leader in me but I do share knowledge with the younger guys in the shop... or at least the guys that I think will appreciate it. I had an excellent (and rare) example that showed how a voltage and resistance check with a DVOM can test "good" VS a good 'ol load test. I specifically chose two young techs that have shown interest and curiosity when being helped in the past. I love seeing that look they get when it "clicks" in their minds. Perhaps I inherited some of the educator mindset from my father. Who knows but I do encourage anyone with a minute and the mindset to do the same as I am SURE we have all had someone in our past do the same for us. It is far too rare in my opinion and unfortunately there are too many idiots willing to pass on their stupidity.

Lesson #1 - RTFM!

Lesson #2 - THINK about what the manual is telling you to do and why.

Without a doubt electrical is the most difficult thing for techs to grasp. Keep working with them on voltage drops, relays, amperages, voltages, etc, over and over until they "get it". Don't be disappointed if you have to tell them the same thing over and over as it sinks in slowly for many guys.

When I had the shop we'd play at lunch with "lunch questions" like a game show. I'd ask them a question and if they answered correctly I'd buy lunch, kind of an ASE style game. Then we'd obviously talk about why the answer was correct.

The smart guys will listen to your knowledge and experience.

B)