Dana 80 Speedi Sleeve

Rate this topic

Had a Dana 80 that had a groove in the hub seal area. I used 99287 speedi sleeve. I cut the right angle portion before installing for ease of removal later. The machine shop cut a hole in the end of the install tool & flat machined a piece of pipe for a driver. I also used Loctite 680 for the install. I would have liked to cut the sleeve shorter to before the install but instead I trimmed it back after I had it positioned on the spindle.

I used a cut off wheel, a Dynafile, Roloc & fine sand paper(Yeah not perfect but :whattodo:)

The sleeve is about .500 after the install.

527712201_Groove-Copy.jpg.a40d14f2c2869ab24f78144ae5ea93f4.jpg  1088618756_Sleeve-Copy.jpg.c589c6797fa592a5c3ae7c6cdfa87ea2.jpg

I have never seen a sleeve on an axle like that - good to know they exist If I ever run into that.  BTW I have always removed wear sleeves with a square punch and a heavy hammer. Striking across the sleeve will expand the metal and you can pull it with your fingers.

I installed many of those and even remember the PN as I stocked several numbers.  I cut a piece of pipe to just the right length and used the bearing nut to pull the sleeve into place, sometimes using a hammer will leave a ridge each time the sleeve stops. Any sealer will work, we used RTV. Most of the time you don't have to remove the lip of the sleeve and you can use the stock PN seal even though the hub is a few thou bigger. There's a relationship between the PN and the sleeve size on some of them, like a 99287 is 2.87" or something like that. SpeediSleeves are the cat's ass!

• 3 weeks later...

Have not tried this method. We have a local service called axle surgeons come out and replace the spindle. Only thing we have to do is strip the hub and parking brake assembly off. The spindle is cut off and they attach a jig and bore out the tube slightly. The replacement spindle is a slip in fit and weld it up. They can match what spindle is required off of the bearing numbers. Next time I get one I'll get some pics.