NY Training Center

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

DD415985-CE06-4848-B280-638A324A3C76.jpegBeing a Senior Master Technician I don't get to go to classroom training often. In fact the last time I went was for electric vehicles when I got to meet Motorcraft Mike at the Yonkers training center which has since closed. So now we are back to New Jersey (thank you) and in the UTI facility in Bloomfield. Wow, wow and wow! First, this is a beautiful facility, clean, well equipped and organized like I have never seen before. It is a UTI school that also has Ford FACT program running and now the Ford STST training. PERFECT place for us to land. I stuck my nose in some windows and checked out the heavy truck shops that has full tractors, rear sections, front and rear axles on well made rolling stands, air brake set-ups... nice stuff.

I am there for the new "Advanced Engine Performance" class. So far, nothing really ground breaking but the work station exercises reflect the current engines in production so it makes sense for the course update and mandatory completion. The instructor Steve Armstrong, a young guy is sharp and knowledgeable and he has a different approach to his training -  he follows the curriculum but he teaches you to think in a more critical manner. Nothing I didn't already know but some of it I have never seen done in a Ford classroom. Bravo to whomever it was that saw something in him!

57E22FDF-216E-4321-BF70-2C97BC283F9D.jpeg

46B33447-DCBF-4E1E-BE90-FC4AB2A51A96.jpeg

7AD5BA30-5401-48A6-9AB2-7E50F9C79AD9.jpeg

BA5C67E9-6B81-46A1-B7AA-BD64B8E2F088.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice looking place. I just went in for this same class a couple weeks ago and was just thinking our place has not changed much in the 18 or so years Ive been attending! It always clean and organized along with keeping up with updates so no complaints! I have to agree with the lesson. Nothing too crazy but some new or unused stuff taught that can be useful. For me I do not get to see the car stuff much as our fleet is all 150s and superdutys so I am always a little behind. I always do enjoy the training but do not see much of it being a senior master. Its always comical to see all the other dealer techs confusion when my name tag says "non dealer"  so I end up answering alot of how did you get here questions.  I also get lack of acceptance and usually have to prove my knowledge the first day before I can get some respect from the other techs.

I am thankful I work for an employer that believes in the importance of factory training and equipment to keep our fleet rolling so I still have the opportunity to attend the ford training and retain my masters even if its an unofficial title! Its also nice not to have to dealer with the dealer politics and headache! 

• Like 2