2017+Medium Duty Axle Shaft Gaskets

Rate this topic

I have had a couple F750 trucks come in with spit/torn axle shaft gaskets, one truck is a 2X offender. There is nothing wrong with the hubs or the axles or the studs and nuts. My question is WHY if Ford using paper gaskets? As late as 2016 the same seals are the typical thin steel gaskets. If either of these trucks repeats I am considering using the old steel gaskets but when it's warranty, that might not fly. Even still, I would consider doing so and documenting my findings thoroughly on the RO and possibly running it by the Hot-Line despite the fact they have no authority over parts or part usage. Anyone else see this?

I can't remember ever using a gasket there, just RTV. Is that not allowed by Ford? If it were important to use a gasket I'd think the old steel gasket with sealer would be fine. 

Usually the (IH) trucks are shipped piggyback with the axles out of them. It was common to have the delivery drivers install the axles at the location using a crescent wrench and undertorque them.  We saw many with low diffs and seeping/leaking flanges. Is this part of your problem?