oil loss 2002 7.3

Rate this topic

We have an 2002 f-350 7.3 that will lose oil to the point that it will stall out. It has external leaks but I can't see it losing that much oil in around 1200 kms. The tech that had it befor said that it was very low on oil so he did an oil change so I know it at least was full of oil befor it left here last time.  I checked the charge pipes and found a normal amount of oil.  We checked the fuel filter and its not black but nether is the oil, dye was added to the oil and it looks like there is dye in the fuel.  We pulled the fuel injectors out and inspected the O-rings and did not find anything obvious. We used that injector vacuum test tool and they all hold 25 inch's. I would have to think that the one of fuel injectors are the cause I just want to be able to proof it to. Does anyone else have any advice on the best way to test.

Ditto on what Keith said. Most of them will be fixed with a set of injector o-rings, but some will leak inside the injector with the same complaint. Beware the o-rings will wear grooves into the cylinder head on rare occasion requiring the head to be replaced. Run your finger in the bore to feel it. Are the center o-rings pink?  I don't know of any bench test to ID a bad injector for this, maybe a HP test at a pump shop might show it.

Late 7.3s are returnless fuel from the head so it's harder for the fuel to turn black. In an extreme diag you could pull the plugs out of the heads (one LR under the turbo and one at the front of the rt head) and put a hose there to see the fuel color.  Putting a pair of gauges in there would help, too, the head with higher fuel pressure will be the head with the leak. This would tell you which head has the problem. If it's draining the oil pan in 700 miles you have a big problem.

P101044052.JPG

P1010064.JPG

P1010070!bb.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the cut aways :cheers-jeers:( I think this is the thumbs up emoji )  The centre o-ring was pink, the injectors got all new o-rings and some fresh oil. I will update this if when I know the out come. Thanks again !