Repeat HPFP failure

Rate this topic

I'm working on a 2011 F-350 with 44,000 miles that the hpfp went out on, it locked up and sheared the gear key. I took the pump apart and the cam was shot. I saw no reason for the failure and blamed it on the early pump problems. I flushed the system per workshop manual, installed the fuel kit, cleaned the fuel tank, replaced low pressure pump, and installed a CP4 bypass kit. I did not replace the fuel cooler since it wasn't listed in the "to replace" list even though I always replaced them on the 6.4"s. 

700 miles later it comes back making a squalling noise sometimes with the low pressure pump running with the engine off and worse when driving sometimes when under 10 pounds of boost. It also looses power at 20 pounds of boost and won't go over 20psi. There is a ton of metal in the lower fuel filter and at 20 psi of boost the desired fuel pressure is 14,000 and actual is 4,000. There are no codes in the system. I traced the noise to the hpfp with a chassis ear while driving and a stethoscope with the pump running.

It obviously needs another pump but why did if fail already? Since I found no reason for the first pump failure I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Is it because the replacement pump is junk or because I didn't replaced the fuel cooler? Would the CP4 bypass be causing problems, I've installed one on another truck with no problems?

• 3 weeks later...