Melted Intake Manifold

Rate this topic

A restricted exhaust might do it but wouldn't you think there might be elevated EBP or DPF pressure codes? I said might. A biased sensor could be a possibility but I usually see MAF/MAP codes when something is off. Melted intake tubes also come to mind. 

Initially would suspect the CAC system. I have had many that melt the cold side CAC tube if the secondary system runs low on coolant. Second I would suspect the possibility of the EGR cooler bypass sticking closed, causing high temp EGR injection into intake stream.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this is an older thread, but did it ever get resolved/ root cause?Im working on a 17 450 that  has melted the intake manifold like this.  I replaced intake manifold and when driving it sounds like it still has boost pressure escaping. it will build 35 psi  but truck is sluggish. anything over 28 pounds you can hear air noise. the truck has no emissions present. I have pressure tested with air the intake to 30 lbs and cant hear any leaks. I dont see any soot around any of the exhaust indicating a leak. I am not sure if the turbo is leaking internally? Or could one of the flexpipes be broken causing this?

This was a post that was born from a public forum TDS and the poster never followed up on what the outcome eventually was. The truck is deleted, tuned and has aftermarket parts on it if that makes any difference. Here is the link ---> 

WWW.THEDIESELSTOP.COM

Would anyone have any idea why I keep blowing a hole in my intake when towing heavy? I know my intercooler was bad and pumping...

I read that a couple months ago and it sounds like the turbo is the culprit, but I was trying to determine if it fixed anything? From what I have seen with the turbos on the 67 is they are either good or bad, not really in-betweeen?